Off-Topic Dealership confidence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Nighthawk, Friday 2nd Sep, 2016.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As all the regulars here know, I am pretty much set on getting a new car next year which will not be a Honda. Sorry, HUK attitude and my principles as a result now forbids me from giving them any further money which is a pity as I am really going to miss my Accord. A short time ago I took out a few Lexus and really like the GS450H. Today, I got this email from Jaguar which was a car I have considered, being the XE. Anyway, talk about dealership confidence. Why doesnt Honda try something like this to get some interest in their cars and show off what they have to offer. Here is a copy and paste from Jaguars email to me.

"Dear **************

Four executive saloons. 15 minutes each. The XE was born for this kind of challenge. Come and test drive the XE R-Sport up against the BMW 3 Series, Mercedes C Class and Audi A4. The XE Challenge awaits, at your local Retailer from 2-4 September.

This test drive will allow you to experience something truly special. XE is simply the most advanced, efficient and refined sports saloon Jaguar has ever produced - with assertive looks and an agile drive. No surprise that it's been recognised by Auto Express as their Best Compact Executive Car 2016."

I appreciate its marketing ploys etc, but it certainly raised my interest. I have no interest in ever buying a german car, but it would be good to compare. I get to drive a 530d quite often so already have an idea of what they are like, but it would be interesting to compare against the others too.

Fair play to Jaguar for coming up with this concept - Come on Honda, you can do much better than this and get some much needed attention back through your doors.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Way to go Jaguar !! :clap:

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a text and email from my local Jaguar dealer offering the same thing.

As much as I'd love to drive a XE, I think I would be wasting their time by turning up. I don't have £40K in the bank to consider a purchase.

Nothing like having confidence in your product. Although I'd like to know if they're using equivalent spec and priced cars for the comparison.

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:Wink:

I would hope so, but I just don't trust them to do so unless they are prepared to put it in writing.
    That's not a dig at Jaguar, but a mistrust or marketing and sales folk.

FirstHonda, Nighthawk and Zebster like this.
  5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    A great idea, but disappointing that only German cars are being viewed as the competition. Personally I'd only ever have a Japanese car, almost certainly Honda or Toyota/Lexus.

FirstHonda, exec and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I wouldn't see Honda or Toyota/Lexus as direct competition for Jaguar. Neither do they it seems.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Bit harsh on Lexus!

8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just an opinion.

I also wouldn't consider Audi or the majority of the BMW range if I had that sort of money to spend on a car.

Last edited: Friday 2nd Sep, 2016
  9. Nighthawk Guest

The Lexus IS300h is deemed as a compact executive saloon designed to take on the C class and 3 series so I think they should have included those as well. My heart is set on the Lexus anyway but I am curious what the XE is like. A second hand XE is around the same price as a GS450h which is a stunning car to drive, so I am interested to see how it would compare. Like you @Zebster , I will only buy Japanese cars although the XE does look fantastic.

The 450h is a much nicer car inside than a 5 series BMW I must say.

I just like the marketing ploy, and their confidence to boot, just as I liked Lexus confidence to give me a car for 24 hours.

It would just be nice if Honda stepped up to the plate and its disappointing that they don't and rather appear to be taking a back seat :Unknown::Messed:

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It is difficult to see what their marketing strategy really is. They seem to be floundering in no-mans-land.

It is also beyond belief that they don't make better use of Honda's 9 years of most reliable brand!

FirstHonda, Nighthawk and Zebster like this.
  11. Nighthawk Guest

Exactly...they should be shouting that from thr rooftops. Im half expecting Honda to suddenly jump out from the woodwork and shout "SURPRISE!! You thought we had lost the market, well we havent" and then blow us all away with an amazing product like a thriller throws twists and turns in a decent movie but I fear it won't happen

Nels likes this.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I read the asterisks as swear word filter at first and was wondering why they greeted you as such lol.

The XE is a nice looking car, but wouldn't get one myself, reliability and build quality is not great. Also don't think Lexus is included in there because its not a popular choice, whereas the Germans are and so they are competing to capture buyers who would usually get a German car. Jaguar, Lexus & Volvo are probably the three main left field choices to the usual German brigade.

Nighthawk likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

If I was a businessman, I would have the Lexus. Corporate car parks are full of the german manufacturers and the exec Lexus are still rare in comparison. I think a Lexus is a direct competitor to Jag.

Either way....im doing their test drive marathon tomorrow as I am curious. I think il have to disinfect my hands tomorrow after driving an audi, merc and beemer

Zebster likes this.
  14. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Have fun and... wear Nitrile powder-free examination gloves in the German cars, hahaha.

15. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I wonder if it's the XE R Sport (240) they will use ?
    Be interested to hear how this goes and what you think
    But it is nice to see them making what is a good offer to trial / compare
    Have fun

Nighthawk likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

The R Sport 240 is the only one I would be interested in. The cars they are having are all diesels, equally specced toy wise rather than chosen on costs of purchase.

Jag have said they will sort out a 240 for me at a later date as it wouldn't be fair comparing a diesel against a petrol.

vincemince likes this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    My cousin who unfortunately is a German car fan even though they have given him nothing but heartaches (He used to have a Type-S 2.0 FL Acoord) he keeps test driving all the available options on a regular basis. At the moment he drives an E350 CDI which even I feel is a fantastic vehicle when it works. He calls me everytime he drives a competitor to discuss and he has so far been really disappointed with the BMWs specially the 6 series. He recently drove a XF 3.0 S? and for the first time I heard him be a bit blown away but the ride and rapidness of a car. He was completely sold but I actually convinced him that there are too many electrical issues with these so don't. But overall he was impressed with Jags dealership experience and the sales assistant who accompanied him was very confidentially kept assuring him that the car can take a bit more and not worry about it as she has gone faster than this and that the car will stick. That's something that kind of assures the buyer that the company trusts its products.

image. image. image.

Nighthawk likes this.
  18. Nighthawk Guest

Great looking thing. Looks better than the Lexus

19. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I think it's a fantastic approach. Jaguar should be applauded.

Honda - as we know - need to wake up and sort themselves out - not that they have a competitor in this class anymore - but they could run something similar for SUVs with basic spec German cars to show the value that you get with Honda standard kit.

^^ True, but I'm afraid the perception of different brands has been driven successfully by the Germans and has brainwashed far too many people. I know people who are afraid not to have a BMW / Audi company car as they feel it will impact on what others think of them. Ridiculous? Yes. Sad? Also yes. Something that happens because of brand driven perceptions and our societies obsession with them? Yes too.

A particular brand of car, sunglasses, shirts with labels, trainers, technology, supermarkets...we've forgotten the message and worship the creed.

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Maybe, but it'll almost certainly spend more time being repaired.

Nighthawk likes this.