Dealers/Garages Dealership damage

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by CRzGTDan89, Tuesday 22nd Jul, 2014.

1. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    So, last Wednesday, my car went in for servicing at the dealership. I needed two rear tyres. Upon getting home I noticed some substantial damage on the rear alloys. I am a billion percent this is not down to me. I take great care of my wheels. I know that Honda did it probably during the tyre change. They are denying it. Saying they will repair one out of courtesy. Not good enough! I have taken it to head office. Has this happened to anyone else? Cheers! image. image.

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've personally never had any issues but this is unacceptable and the fact that they are willing to fix one probably hints that were liable for the damage!

From now on I would definitely record all telephone conversations and keep a log of all emails. @Ichiban should be able to assist you further with the complaints procedure.

3. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    Do you know or can you hazard a guess at what might have caused this? Kerbing on the long scratch maybe? But what on earth could have caused the deep hole? I think it was their machine. The corgi geometric tyre machine is the culprit.

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Would love to know how they intend on repairing a diamond cut finish alloy wheel without spending four times more than the wheel is worth.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Things like this are tricky.

Having worked in the motor trade for 12 years I've had my fair share of "it wasn't like that before" conversations.
    I see people walk all around their car before they drive it off the car park. However, they rarely check the car before they leave it. So that dink that happened on tesco car park the week before gets blamed on the dealership.

I'd accept their offer and put it down to experience. You may have nipped a Kurb parking outside your house for all they know.

6. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    Honda UK have just phoned me. End of the road basically. My word against theirs. The chap said that the Vertu franchise footing the bill for one is as good as I'll get. Even though, before the service, they did a vehicle check and no scratches or damage to the alloys were noted. I'm very angry because it makes me look like I don't take pride in my car. Moral of the story, don't use Vertu Honda!

7. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    Yes, but it actually wasn't like that before. I have had my car from new and those alloys were pristine until they changed my tyres. I am an honest person. If I caused the damage I wouldn't go blaming somebody else. It is the fact that I know I have not done it. An incompetent fool has got away with it.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think the long 'kerbing' scrape is from a tyre lever, when they were removing the tyre.
    The guys that do my tyres always use a special lever for allows. Not the old steel bar lever.
    Kerbing wouldn't leave a narrow scrape.
    Shocked that this has happened at a main dealer.
    The only sure fire way to have proved it would to have taken photos before hand.

(I always fully photograph all hire cars, at collection and return.)

10. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    I am lead to believe that is a tyre lever. But the other damaged one? It's like it has been hit with something. Old muggins here will have to pay up.

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A word of warning. If you kick up a stink any further you may run the risk of them retracting the offer of a repair.

It's all about customer retention and if they start to see you as a lost cause then there is no reason why they need to do anything for you (the wheel repair) as it's highly likely you won't return anyway.

12. CRzGTDan89 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Doncaster
    They can fix the wheel that has come off the worst. But I know they know I will not be be returning back to them. I'll have to go further afield. Oh well. You know how the saying goes.

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Agree with all of the comments above. If this was mine, I'd be equally furious :Rant:, but unfortunately it is one word against another. Even if they knew they had done it (which they must have done, frankly) the individual concerned may be denying all knowledge so as not to get into trouble. I do remember reading a couple of years ago that something similar happened to a What Car? long term test car when it went in for a service (it may have even been their CR-Z come to think of it) and the denial quickly vanished when they realised who the car was run by. Didn't stop them reporting it in the magazine though, and naming the dealer! Pity that report isn't online, but I guess it would have been a London dealer.

If it helps (and I doubt it will) my Honda dealer had one of my alloys repaired for free when they swapped Winter to Summer tyres as there was a small mark caused by the swap. They are also diamond cut (standard Accord 17") and the finish post repair was perfect - you'd really never know it had been damaged at all.

One of my major gripes over the years has been a seeming lack of care taken by some dealers with my cars. I'm lucky to have found an excellent dealer here (famous last words!). Hopefully somebody on here will be able to recommend a better dealer in your area that you can switch to.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^This thread will give me nightmares - just terrible. It should come with a "car lovers - advisory" warning!

15. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The dealer that was involved with the Whatcar Honda was Thames Ditton Honda. They were named in the article.

16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dan this happened to me some time ago we put our HR-V in for a service and when we went to collect it there was thick black grease on the alloy. I got some tissue whilst still at the dealership and wiped it off to find some very bad damage. The day before I had cleaned the car and used a tyre dressing. They said the grease was the tyre dressing?.. Obviously trying to say I had done this I kicked off and got the general manager to investigate as no damage was found prior to the service, he discovered that one of the mechanics had been putting the car onto a lift and had misjudged his approach and missed the ramps hitting the wheel against the side of them causing the damage, he then covered it in grease to try and hide it.they ended up replacing the two front ones.
    The damage to yours looks very much like tyre lever damage it seems to me like they don't take much care when changing tyres and as a responsible owner you get the bill. It's a disgrace.
    Hope you get them all sorted.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The dealer I've been using at the moment wrecked my rear bumper of my 6th Generation many years ago and also denied it, a private garage put a big scrape up the side of the same car also probably with a trolley jack and Parks Motor Group damaged my rear door of my Mondeo then made it worse by being too aggressive with trying to polish it out. Because of this I always photograph my whole car each time i leave it somewhere. Saves any future hassle and very quick to do with camera on my phone. All i can advise is you do the same thing in future. I don't try and hide the fact that I'm taking photos and prefer that they see that I'm doing it and I'll also photograph any courtesy car I'm given.

It's not so much out of not trusting them because if they ask I'll simply explain that accidents can always happen but this saves a falling out afterwards! Better for both parties and can also work in their favour in case it's me who has made the mistake.

DeviateDefiant and Chunkylover53 like this.
  18. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Changing tyres is probably one of the lowest tech jobs in a garage. What's the betting an unsupervised apprentice was let loose on it.
    This is not a slur on an apprentice by the way.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's actually some really good advice mate, think I'm going to start doing this too :Thumbup:

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Me too.

My MINI dealer know that she is my baby and totally spotless, and I trust them with her now after a few conversations over the years...

...but my Accord, I just hand over the keys and go. Pretty risky now I think about it, but my Honda dealer have been excellent thus far. Even so, great advice and simple to do.