Off-Topic Dealing with MSI support

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Harvey, Sunday 9th Nov, 2014.

1. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi guys and gals.
    I don't know if anyone of your are computer builders in your spare time, or as a living.
    I recently purchased a second hand MSI (Microstar international) motherboard from Ebay, (990FXA-GD65) with processor and RAM, for a shade over £70, now I have installed this into a case for my father, who was having some issue with an old computer he had, that blew up. I'd assembled it with new psu, re used the hdd and a new dvd writer and graphics card, plus this bundle.

I've installed windows and drivers but I am getting no sound from any of the jacks, its not even detecting anything is plugged in. Anyway, I've tried updated drivers, older drivers, checked the bios settings, but still no sound. So yanked it back out to get the serial numbers.

The board appears to be less than 12 months old from the date of manufacture and is within the 3 year warranty offered by MSI, so I've registered the board and opened a support ticket with them. Despite the lack of paperwork, does anyone think the chances are slim that the board may be replaced under the warranty, even though it is mentioned that if you don't have copys of the receipt etc that they will assume warranty starts from the date of manufacture rather than the purchase date.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Are you within the time limit to register a complaint with ebay? - Item not as described/not working.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm not familiar with MSI's returns policy - however adding to @Nels point, if you are out of the 45 day guarantee period can you ask the seller to send you the original invoice so you can use that during the warranty claim?

Nels likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've contacted the seller and they have been very helpful, although the item is working, just not fully.
    I am within the claim back period for ebay, but have asked the seller to forward a copy of the receipt to me so that I could claim, but I read some where on msi's website that they can still do warranty work as long as it is within the 3 years of its manufactur date, which is on the serial number.

Hopefully this will be the case and things work out, which for me, they usually don't

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I had a problem with a new Intel Extreme board last year. After going through a few tests and checks with them over the phone, the board was then sent back for them to inspect. They sent me a replacement by return. Excellent service. To date, all running fine. Hope MSI are as good.

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hopefully they will be @Nels

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would claim back mate. You're being very kind by saying that the item is working. Call me cautious but the seller has to be nice within the 45 day period because if you open a eBay claim then you will win and get your money back.

However after the 45 day period they can tell you to sod off and there's no recourse whatsoever (apart from card chargeback).

Either way keep us updated mate.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    out of interest what psu did you use this time? if its a cheap one then it will blow and dry your pc again, never skimp on th epsu.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Corsair CX500M is what I used this time mate for my dads rebuild
    built using
    MSI 990FXA-GD65 mobo
    AMD Semprom 145 (unlocked to dual core)
    Corsair XMS3 1066 RAM
    MSI Radeon 6450 silent graphics (not powerfull but doesnt need to be)
    Samsung DVD writer
    Corsair CX500M (modulr PSU)
    reused HDD (Hitachi spinpoint 160gb i think)
    reused old case, but added new and upgraded Arctic cooling F8 and F12 PWM fans

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I somewhat doubt it's a hardware issue if you're just not getting sound, it's more than likely a driver issue, but then again, it is MSI :Whistle:

I'd say go look for older driver versions and try to get one to work, but to be the simplest way to confirm the onboard DAC is working correctly would be to use a live Linux install (Ubuntu/Mint/Elementary etc.) on a USB and see if any sound comes out :Laughing: Out-of-the-box driver support isn't perfect but it covers most widely used platforms (C-Media and Realtek chips), simple way to separate it from being a software/driver issue with your Windows install.

The thing is, I refuse to use MSI products, if you go look at many hardware forums you'll find them filled with posts about not only their shoddy motherboards, but their horrid RMA process. Their graphics cards tend to be a bit better, but I haven't used them since around 10 years ago, when the PC shop I worked in continually had issues with MSI boards (and Asrock).

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Agreed with Asrock - out of all the computers I have built however, my favourite is actually MSI. I have never had a problem with them, been more reliable than some Asus boards I have had in the past, although I have never had an issue with Gigabyte either.

Must post up some pics of my gaming PC at some point - had a blog running on overclockers but I stopped it ages ago so its out of date now.

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I have an MSI HD6870 graphics card and it has been rock solid for me for good few years, also have an ASROCK mini itx mobo, fantastic board with great build quality, they make some of the best mini itx board.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've always steered clear of Asrock boards, ever since my mothers ex boyfriend "upgraded" his old pc with their boards over 10 years ago, the build quality then was shocking. To be honest untill I built my current pc, I've never had an issue with MSI stuff, my last build contained an MSI motherboard and that performed brilliantly for over 5 years, and in some instanced it wasn't turned off for a week or more at a time.

My own pc uses
    MSI 990FXA-GD65 mobo
    4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 RAM
    AMD Phenom II 965 Black processor
    Asus Nvidia GTS450 Graphics
    LG BLu ray player
    Seagate Barracuda 500GB (Main HDD)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB (second storage HDD)
    Arctic cooling Freezer 13 CPU cooler
    Coolermaster GX750 psu
    Coolermaster CM690 II lite case
    Samsung Syncmaster SM2333HD 23" monitor

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I swear by Asus, I've owned them for the past 8 years. Probably built a fair bit over 100 machines with them, and not one failure :Whistle: That said, I've only ever had one Gigabyte board fail on me too. MSI I could tell many horror stories with but in fairness I've stayed so far away from them in recent years I have no idea if they've genuinely improved at all.

Their graphics cards are generally fine as we're just talking about a standard reference board with a cooler attached, and sometimes various caps swapped out to handle O/C better.

Asrock do have a solid range of Mini-ITX boards, cannot deny that at all. I'm always left underwhelmed with Asus' range. I have a full Mini-ITX system here waiting for a CPU to be dropped in at some point.

My record is 18 months without being switched off :Laughing: These days I have a NAS which does my 24/7 duties.

That's a solid enough parts list. The only bits I wouldn't be sure on are the Coolermaster PSU (normally made by Seventeam a Taiwanese vendor, but it's a lottery) and the Seagate drives.

blog-fail-drives-manufacture.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    MSI graphics card actually went through a real bad batch after the HD7000 series, lots of overheating issues, i used to swear by gigabyte boards, top quality, but they didn't have what I was looking for in a mini-itx board, asus had a really good one but was expensive and not worth the price at the time of my build.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Tbh, I don't think there's any as good as Asus' DirectCUII on the stock cooling front. Then again I'm an Nvidia guy so haven't really seen what some of the AMD only vendors like Sapphire and XFX put out these days.

I'd also swear by Gigabyte, the only bad board I've dealt with was in a system using a crappy PSU - and we all know what they can to do mobos :Laughing:

18. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    All AMD's go through horrific batches, in fact, Im struggling to think of a decent AMD card yet. :Ermm:

Nvidia lover here in case its not obvious yet...:Laughing:

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Let's not even start talking about AMD drivers :Laughing:

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    AMD cards have been far better in the last few years which is why I switched over from Nvidia, and the customer cooler on my MSI card is fab, which is why I went for it.

Never going back to Nvidia* because they always over heat, I had the 8800GT few years back I went through around a dozen cards cos they all overheated!

*not until AMD start doing the same.