General Debadging service?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Sunday 9th Aug, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    Im looking for someone to debadge my car for me, anyone know if there is a service around London?

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I'm sure @RogerH69 could tell you how to removed them.

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yeah i saw some videos on youtube and i already got a heatgun but i live in a block of flats and can't use the heat gun :Frown:

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Dentol floss should get the stuck on badges off. White spirit should get any adhesive off.

Use a bucket of boiled water to gentle pour over the badge to soften the adhesive too.

Ichiban and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  5. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so are you saying i don't actually need the gun heat after all?

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A heat gun would be cleaner but you could do it with out. You'll just need some white spirit or ambersol label remover to get rid of any remnance . Neither harm the paint. I'm sure I sure the dentol floss trick on you tube.

7. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for the tip, i will get some white spririt from pound shop tomorrow lol

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I assume you are referring to the badges on the tailgate. All the badges I removed, I simply pealed off, and then used a micro fibre cloth and a lot of wiping to get the remainder of the glue off. A heat gun or some warm water on the badges and glue probably would have been easier, but I didn't struggle at all to get the badges off. A word of caution though, don't use a screwdriver or anything sharp to get under the badge, as you will damage the paint. I used a wide trim removal tool to get under the edge of the badge, and then slowly started peeling it off.

If you want to take the badges off the front grille, the main H badge is just stuck on, so carefully pry it off. If you have badges on the sides of the front grille, these are usually held on with some screws, and you will need to take off the front grille to get to them. I wrote a guide on doing this for my Civic here.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As already mentioned, you don't need a heatgun, I removed the badge off the back of the EP2 as it was weathered. A hairdryer will work as well, get some dental floss and cut through the double sided tape pulling it away from the bodywork as you cut through, it will miss the paintwork then and then just clean the rest off later with some IPA or equivalent.

RogerH69 likes this.
  10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wait till your car is 13 years old. My "Accord" fell off and I've never replaced it.

I've just got the Red H and the Type'R badges on the tailgate and I think that looks a lot better.

11. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

thanks for all the advice, im gonna try today, heres the ones i wanna take off....

20150725_130325.

12. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

have you a photo of the one you de-badged?

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I removed all badges on the tailgate and replaced the H and the Type-S badges
    87471_IMG_20150808_171253.

The guide linked to above shows how I replaced the "2.0" badge on the front grille with a Type-S badge

14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Useful thread :Thumbup:, I will be debadging mine for that cleaner look and will use that dental floss method, got some adhesive remover and IPA knocking around to clean off any residue.

15. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I done it yesterday but I've messed it up. now theres all the adhesive bits left on there and dunno how to get it off, look:

20150810_193039.

exec, Duc de Pommfrit and Nighthawk like this.
  16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    you haven't messed up at all... that is just how to expect it.

get some IPA or sticky stuff remover and a cloth and with a bit of elbow grease that will clean up fine .
    - - - Updated - - -
    also if you are looking to neaten up the back end it may worth considering colour coding the parking sensors.

17. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    As @chris2982 says, thats fine. Its normal for the remains of the foam sticker to stay behind, remember, they have been stuck on your car for over 10 years. I used some methylated spirits to remove the foam sticker from the EP2 when I removed one of the badges. Warm it up again, and just work it back and forth - its not a quick job, but it works. I then used my DA polisher to blend it all back in again, but you could just give it a good hand polish when you have removed the foam sticky pads and it will come up nicely

18. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

and colour code the number plate trim. Chrome trim is evil. :Smile:

chris2982 likes this.
  19. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

problem i popped into halfords on way home from work last night and showed them the photo and they said they got nothing that will remove it so now might have to go to b&q or something and show them the photo there.
    - - - Updated - - -
    not a bad idea, im getting a private number plate first, just waiting to get paid.

20. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I wouldn't expect everyone employed in Halfords or B&Q to know exactly what is required for this. The way I prefer to do things is find out what I exactly need, before going there. Saves me time walking around the shop, buying something I don't need or not getting the right things because the salesman was a trainee or just misinformed.