Daily Driver Defiant's 2.4 Facelift Type-S

7th Generation (2003-2008) vehicle added by DeviateDefiant, Wednesday 26th Mar, 2014

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This is a continuation of my 2003 Type-S build project started here. I will shortly be porting the majority of my modifications to the new car.
    ______​

Well, here goes a proper introduction post to my new girl. She's a 2007 Type-S with Sat Nav in Graphite Pearl, just ticked her onto 80,000 miles, 2 previous owners, last owner had it since 2011 brought from Honda for £9150.

2014-03-25 11.40.12.

2014-03-25 12.38.00.

Full service history added here for future reference.

Initial Observations:
    • The service history isn't exactly to spec, I'll be doing a big overhaul then oil at 6,000, transmission/brakes at 12,000.
    • Squeak from rear right Bridgestone tyre, front tyres are cheap/unbranded - all corners will be swapped for my Primacy 3s.
    • Tracking isn't terrible, but it is out. Will be swapping over to my adjustable rear camber arms and getting Hunter alignment done.
    • Gearbox is really precise but slightly stiff - MTF change.
    • Clutch is high, grabbing well but not disengaging perfectly. It's got life in it but not that much. Will swap my Exedy Lightweight Flywheel, Stage 1 Clutch (with 5000 miles on it) and fairly new Master Cylinder over.
    • The car has had an insane amount of wiper blades and whatever is currently on aren't genuine aero and squeak. I'll swap mine over.
    • I hate being back to yellow bulbs, full LED/HID swap from old car.
    • No floor mats - rubber mats can be swapped over. I still have good condition genuine ones too.
    • Engine's a bit tappety even when warm. Far worse than my other Type-S, we'll see how she is on an oil change, but might need valve adjustment.
    • VSA - just feels different, kicks in more often (probably down to bad tyres)
    • Stiffer suspension - less body roll, tight over speed humps. Ride is greatly, greatly improved.
    • Although the tyre noise is far worse than what I'm used to, the cabin noise "dampening" is way better.
    • Speakers - way more clarity, way less bass. Might swap these out at a later date.

Stock differences to my previous Pre-Facelift Type-S:
    • Voice-Activated Sat Nav - that works, non-original 2012-2013 disc, have an original 2010-2011 here too.
    • HFT - which I haven't yet got round to testing out properly.
    • MPG Readout - the "live" and miles left features I was completely unaware of, however she's been driven so far has yielded 26.5mpg haven't yet reset.
    • Better Dials
    • Power Folding Wing-Mirrors
    • Full Facelift Type-S Body (I had the Exec Facelift front-end on my previous with Type-S grill)
    • Half leather (Way more supportive than the full leather and nearly as comfy, miss the seat adjustments I had before and not as easy to clean)
    • Better gripped steering wheel (more buttons for new functions)
    • Stereo volume adjusts with speed.
    • Different prompts and beeps with lights left on etc.
    • There's tons of tiny differences I haven't picked up on yet, look here.
    All in all, she drives better, is more comfortable, great condition and most of the small niggles are sorted from parts my other car already has. Almost every mod will be changed over, with my old car getting the stock parts from the new one. I'm unsure yet whether the old car will be broken or sold whole for spares/repairs, I'll tackle that later down the line.

For now, I need to get an oil change done pronto. A bigger service done soon, and get my old girl back from Cheshire Oaks Honda to get parts swapped over.

I'll have a garage page and bring it up-to date with the new car/history and everything else soon.

John Dickson, MickyB, cred and 2 others like this.
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Service history looks ok and serviced every 12, 500 miles which is ok.
    I personally would change all fluids/oil/filters and enjoy the car.
    Air con service at some point, can't see it being done on that list.
    Good find DD

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff DD, you've found a very prime example by the looks of it.

By gum that's a lot of improvements over the PreFaceLift version. You''l have me looking for one soon Lol

That'll be down bad tyres for sure

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yeah I plan to do exactly that, then oil at 6,000 and the other fluids/filters at 12,000. Hadn't even thought about air con service. I'm already enjoying the car, but will do more so once I've got things swapped over to sort out the niggles :Smile:

The Exec which you'll be after no doubt gets even more, such as auto-wipers/lights, auto-dimming mirrors etc. But just remember that the Facelift EX only gets HID lights on the LKAS model.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've always wanted this, would make my life much easier.

Sounds like a very well looked after car. Looking forward to doing a 1/4 mile against you one day, although I think I'll need to do a few mods, and we're doing it in the rain, preferably snow! :Devil:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It'd be better if it was automatic, but you've got a little button to press on the door arm panel.

Haha, yeah most definitely, I'll have to get the new car up-to spec first :Smile:

7. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Looks really good DD, as mentioned a surprising amount of improvements over the pre-FL, is there any change to the engine or drive-train?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

With the American Facelift CL9 (06+ TSX) they get a 64mm throttle body, extra mm on the intake valves, higher lift cams and I believe a revised exhaust header and better flowing cat. Did we get these things? I don't believe so, though I've already picked out parts to replace every single one of those components anyway :Smile:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm in the process of trying to get my old Type-S recovered back home from Cheshire Oaks Honda, for the meantime I might as well get service items in. I intend to go through everything listed on the 75,000 miles with quality parts as it was done by an independent garage:
    • Oil - 0w20 Mobil 1 AFE (5 x 1L)
    • Oil Filter / Washer - OEM (15400-RBA-F01 / 94109-14000)
    • Spark Plugs - NGK Laser Iridium (IZFR6K-11 6944)
    • Fuel Filter - OEM Set (16010-SDC-E01)
    • Pollen Filter - OEM (80292-SDC-505HE)
    • Transmission Fluid - Honda MTF-3 (3 x 1L)
    • Clutch Fluid - Honda DOT-4 (6 x 250ml)
    • Brake Fluid - Castrol React Performance DOT-4 (2 x 1L)
    • Engine Coolant - Honda Type-2 Premixed (5L + 1L)
    Airbox filter I'll just leave as I'll be porting my CAI. Missing anything or any thoughts on part choice?

10. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Trust the yanks to get the goodies on their cars :Wassat:

Just noticed the grille surround isn't chrome, is that standard or has the previous owner colour-coded it?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

That's standard on the Type-S and Euro-R Facelift, same as I put on my old Pre-Facelift.

12. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Loving your new ride. Any plans for tinting the rear windows?

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Yes most definitely, missing it from my old Accord already. Looked up a local place to do it. Probably 15% tint on the rear windows and screen, then 70% tint on the front windows.

Legally you need to have 70% of light coming through the front windows, although it's not considered dangerous or you're at risk of points/impounding till 60%. Long as I'm above 60% I'm happy. Our stock glass lets through 85%, so in theory that with 70% film on top would leave 59.5% light through. That's a bit close for comfort, so I'm hoping to test with a light meter before committing.

kes likes this.
  14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

After much deliberation, I just ordered 5Ls of 0w20 Mobil 1 AFE for £59.60. Although my old Accord ran best on 5w-40 we'll see how the new girl does on the recommended less viscous oil. Already have an oil filter/washer here waiting.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I do like the FL Type-S standard alloys I find them the best looking 17 inch alloys for the 7th Generation. If I were you I would get them painted in Championship white they will look so sick its unreal.. you just have to wash them a lot with the brake dust.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm not a big fan of white wheels to be honest, but I'm definitely going to refurbish them before long.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Trust me they will look good do a photoshop of it.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Quick and dirty, but I'm still not keen:

wheel_edit.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looking mint :Niceone:

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I like it like that ! but I am always been a believer in sleepers.