General Dehumidifier Bags

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Heckler, Friday 22nd Jan, 2016.

1. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

These turned up today....

Put one on the dash already to see if it works... I get terrible build up on my front screen, partly because it faces the sunrise (My house faces onto a large open green larger than a football field). So it gets pretty bad as the sunlight warms the interior of the car.

Both pleased and disappointed... the bags are hefty and should do the trick if they work as advertised. There's a little window in the corner so you can see them start to turn colour as they absorb moisture.

However... the bag to store them in when not in use is nothing more than a flimsy see through ziplock bag, and the dehumidifier bags themselves are only sealed shut with velcro, no zip. I've tested it by turning it upside down and giving it a little shake... and it does allow them to leak a little. I'd be far happier if there was a zip inside.

But most of all... I really... really... miss my heated front windscreen from my old car.

GSD2013 likes this.
  2. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Have you tried shaving foam on the window along with your bags. This should help.

3. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Shaving foam... I thought that was a myth.

Also I have a beard, I've not bought shaving foam in many, many years. :Smile:

4. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    It definitely works on the bathroom mirror in my steamy bathroom.

5. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well... my verdict is in... they work quite well.

Had a 1kg one on my dash for the last 6 days and not a single drop of moisture on my screen at all. Car is normally parked with the screen facing the sunrise and gets really bad as a result. It's made me late on several occasions because it takes so long to clear and I'm constantly cleaning the inside of the screen to remove marks.

We've had lots of high and low temp weather (14ºc during the day and 1-2ºc at night), loads of rain and high winds. So far so good.

I managed to get 2 of the 1kg bags for £11 which seemed like a good deal. Bag has a little window in the bottom corner so you can see as the beads change colour. When one is full I'll swap it over for the other and put one on a radiator to dry out for a few days. Not needed to put one on the rear parcel shelf so far as that's close to the house and more shaded and doesn't seem to get any moisture on it at all.

Harvey and exec like this.
  6. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

After roughly 6 days of use... I've not found a single drop of moisture on the screen. Car has been used a little over the weekend, a lot on Monday and a lot on Weds.. each time it's been left around 36-48hrs between uses and it's been wet and windy here... Car is parked with windscreen facing the sunrise and that always causes problems with moisture. It's only become an issue because the Accord doesn't have a heated front screen like my old car did.... I really miss that feature, along with cooling seats in the summer.

legend-ary and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just ordered these. Cheers @Heckler, walking the dog twice a day adds to internal condensation, especially in these damp weather conditions. Like the idea of drying the bags out in the oven. I expect delivery next Tuesday. It's a pain waiting for the screen etc to clear in the morning, and I don't like wiping with a cloth, cos it messes with clarity / cleanliness of the glass.
    Again, big thanks @Heckler

Heckler likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i heard cat litter has the same effect, but not tried it.

My car also suffers from this a little as well, but not as bad as yours by the sound of it. Though I have a friend who has a Fiesta, and his is terrible, though I think its not helped by a leaking boot.

9. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

I tried the silica based cat litter in an old sock, didn't work that well. Could have been the cotton in the sock affecting the silica crystals' performance.

Harvey likes this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I did the cat litter in a box, loads of holes stabbed in it and with the mrs tights over it. Worked OK. Was better but didn't fix the problem. I now have one of the bags on the dash and it works to certain extent, Mine steams up when I get in though and then freezes. I miss my garage :Frown:

GSD2013 likes this.
  11. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

The luxury of a garage....

Bones126 likes this.
  12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I moved from a crummy one bed flat which had a garage, to a 3 bed house with a drive big enough for 2 cars... The garage was so small though, my old coupe had rather large doors and the only way you could get out of the car after parking it as close to the wall as possible on the passenger side... was to open the window (thank feck for frameless ones) and squeeze out then lock the car... unfortunately that then made the windows close. So you needed to use a stick to press the window down button before you could get back in it again.

What really got my back up was the fact that not all of the garages in the row were the same size and the one nearest me was a good 18" wider... I tried to swap with the guy at the other end as that would mean both garages would be closer to each of us... but he had a giant people carrier that was even wider than mine.

13. Garrydhu Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Billy Dor Carrigaline
    Glad to hear they work,I've been using a cheaper version,container on the dash,seems to be OK,but think the sock on dash job is far better,as u can use it over,and over

14. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    ...or you could simply leave your climate control on auto ET voila no steaming windows...

15. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Do you have some magical type of climate control that works when the car is turned off, locked and left standing overnight? :Smile:

Harvey likes this.
  16. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    ...yes! All petrol Accords have such a button...in the 2.4 a little man also cleans the glass inside and out...another reason to ditch diesel for petrol...

Heckler likes this.
  17. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Smaller bags are also great to stop your headlights steaming up

I've a 50g bag in each headlight.