Body, Paint & Styling Design fault on all CR-V? Tailgate scuffing

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Racy Jace, Monday 2nd May, 2016.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The rear centre brake cable that is visable when the boot is open shows that it rubs the paint away. It even does it on the new one in the show room. The marks were visable there too. I'm off to Honda to see what they say as the boss was off today.

As far as I'm concerned it's a design fault. They could of took precautions to prevent this.

Please can you all check and post a pic with the year of the CR-V.

2016-05-02 19.51.57.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never seen that one mate I will look up on TSB just in case.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just need all owners to open there boot and have a look.

Honda probably havnt done anything yet but because of the thin layer of paint and the cable rubbing on it there's only one thing going to happen.

The sales guy went straight over to the one in the show room and you could see the the same mark where the cables rubbing.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    New cars won't show it now will they come on salesman it takes time for this to happen, So has the service department taken pictures and submitted this to Honda?

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm off to Honda now. It probably was a 2 yr old car in the show room but the wear was there. I'm gonna see if he's wiped it off. Over time the same thing will happen that happened to mine.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's a £24000 15 plate in the show room. It looks like all CR-V are affected. My nearest honda dealer with a body shop is Holdcroft which is an hour away. I need to see them to make a body work claim apparently.

2016-05-03 16.16.35.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It's the washer jet pipe that will rub the paint away

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Can't see anything obvious on my 62 plate with 27k on the clock.
    The only thing that annoys me about the tailgate is the cold shower it gives me when I open it in the wet!

Pete C

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I can't work out exactly where you are talking about. I can't see any brake cables when my boot is open (probably just being thick as usual).

Keith

9. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I would get a bit of paint protection film on there once it is repaired.

Racy Jace likes this.
  10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@155695 If you open the CR-V boot up and look in the centre at the top you'll see a black washer jet lead. Its beneath your roof spoiler but the other side of the hatch. When the boot shuts it rubs against the paint.

The one in the show room hadn't gone through the paint but the rub marks are visable.

It's just above the orange arc. You'll see a black line. It's clearer in the flesh and it just shows that it's all ready rubbing
    2016-05-03 17.57.21.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Guys there is no TSB from Honda outlining this an issue , so if you guys get into dealers and log it in numbers then they will respond.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It must also be noted that the inside of my hatch where the issue is, ithas no clear coat on it. I guess this is normal just like the engine bay? The white CR-V in the show room did look like it was glossy though.

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for that - found it now. I think what threw me was when you called it a brake cable, I assume it's the brake light cable. Anyway, I've never noticed it before but a close inspection reveals no sign of rubbing whatsoever, in fact I slowly closed the tailgate and the cable seems to fold down in the available space pretty much without touching the bodywork.

My car's a year old with 5000 miles on the clock.

Keith

Racy Jace likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

No sign of anything on my White Orchid 2015 model at one year old / 8k miles.

Racy Jace likes this.
  15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looks like I'm unlucky then. It would be good if any 2012 -2014 owners could look too.

I'm now thinking that it could be down to Swindon quality and the cable is slightly too long on mine.

I'm back at another honda dealer Saturday who said they'll send the car away if any work needs doing. There's signs of wear on the cable too so I'd be suprised if Honda worm there way out of this.

16. patel_on_da_corner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Patel London
    My 2013 is ok.

Racy Jace likes this.
  17. leonard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    No signs of rubbing on mine either .Probably is worth twisting the washer hose base a bit out so isn't touching the metal .

Racy Jace likes this.
  18. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Hi @racyjace - checked mine and no probs.

Racy Jace likes this.
  19. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    Jace
    Just checked my 2014 ex and no chaffing on hatch. Does your base where it goes into hatch have two plastic prong guides to direct the hose as the hatch closes. As my hatch closes the prongs seem to keep the hose away from the paintwork.

Racy Jace likes this.
  20. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Jase - checked mine too, nothing like that at all Sir.

Least you will raise the issue with Honda who can remedy it. Who knows, it may even be a previous owners fault rather than it being a Swindon manufacturing issue.