Engine & Gearbox Desperate help needed with my Accord!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Briggsy, Thursday 3rd Apr, 2014.

1. Briggsy New Member Getting Started

Matt
    Hi guys. Having a major issue with my accord 03 k24 Type-S.

The problems I am having is that when ever I accelerate between 45 and 70 my car shakes vigorously ! Not the steering wheel so much but the whole car! (The a pillars look like they are shaking from left to right)
    Before people think it's wheels it's nothing to do with wheels and tyres as I have had them balanced twice and checked by 3 places. I have also fitted another set of wheels that my freind is running smoothly on and problem is still there.
    The car has had all the bushes and ball joints checked and are all ok.
    Driveshafts have both been out and checked over. CV joints re greased.
    I am really confused as to why my car shakes so vigorously yet I can't find the problem!
    Any help/ideas will be much appreciated !!!!!

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Does the gear used make a difference at all? For example, does it shake the same in 2nd at high revs as it does cruising in 6th at low revs? I'd definitely be looking at the transmission considering everything that's already been checked.

Just my two pence, I'm not the most mechanically minded amongst us.

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Have you checked the engine/gearbox mounts?

Just to reitterate Leo's point above, if you are doing 45-70, does it matter what gear you are in?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ok, you've covered all the basics, wheels, driveshafts, CV joints, mounts etc.

Does vibration only occur as you accelerate ? (thinking transmission bearing issues)

With the car stationary and in neutral does revving the engine reveal any odd vibrations ? (thinking crank balance issues).

PeteMM likes this.
  5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

I was thinking clutch or input shaft bearing issues, but they wouldn't show up as a violent vibration, and they would also be dulled out by the engine/box mountings

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yep, they would also result in a noisey gearbox but everything obvious seems to have checked.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Has any work been done on the brake system recently ? (thinking discs not installed correctly resulting to vibration of wheels)

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could possibly be warped flywheel though

PeteMM likes this.
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Also take a look at this guide here, covering wheel vibration troubleshooting.

10. Briggsy New Member Getting Started

Matt
    It is most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd but I can get it to do it in other gears. Also if for example I accelerate In 3rd hard it will start to shake really bad at 50 upwards. But at any point during this shake if I drop the clutch to the floor and just free role all the shaking instantly stops!

No work been carried out on brakes recently.

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Warped Flywheel as @SpeedyGee said is what springs to mind.

Rare that it happens, but if you drive like my missus and don't use the handbrake on hills and just ride the clutch, eventually you will not only cook the clutch but destroy the flywheel too.

Once you press the clutch the flywheel is free to turn without anything touching it, which is why the vibration will go away.

It is definitely gonna need looked at either way

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

So it's in the drive train then, onwards from the clutch.

If you feel you have exhausted all other options, its time to drop the gearbox and have that plus clutch and flywheel checked.