Died on Start

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by legend-ary, Monday 18th Jan, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Posted it in my garage entry but didn't get any respose so posting here..

Few days ago came back from a short 2mile trip.. then 10min later got back in car and though it started right up the revs died and the car stalled. Further attempts to start the car did work but the car would die immediately. Couldn't find anything obvious. . Cranked again and this time gave it a bit of beans and as it climbed from 1000-> 3000 it felt as if it was misfiring as it was the engine was vibrating the car.. after that it has been running fine and idles as if nothing happened. Only thing I can think of is that I filled up at local ASDA rather then BP who I always use. But why would it not like the fuel as it has been running on it for past two days..

Would could have caused this? Any ideas??

Another thing i have noticed is that there seems to be a noticeable 'VTEC' like step when RPM goes above 2200-2500 in 1st and 2nd.. I don't think iDsi is supposed to do that...

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's possible the fuel is to blame. Did you fill up with the cheap stuff or just put a little in?

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Not much around 10L but the tank was nearly empty so percentage wise it was about 85% of total fuel in tank.

It did sound to me like its misfiring or there is some blockage in fuel supply cause engine was struggling to rev as I pushed the pedal but once needle went past 3000 all good

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hard to tell. you need to get back to beter fuel and maybe change the fuel filter. However, if you can get connected up to a HDS that will point you in the right direction.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It wouldn't be the first time a supermarket has sold dirty/contaminated fuel so I hope that's all it is.

I'd try better fuel first.

legend-ary likes this.
  6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I really hope it was bad fuel. will refuel with BP next time im out and see what happens.

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

legend-ary likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Get yourself an OBD reader, as you need to know what is happening when the thing stalls and doesn't restart.

A Bluetooth OBD reader can be had for less than a tenner.

Nighthawk and legend-ary like this.
  9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Amazon Prime and same day delivery to the rescue!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Cool, I'm suspecting an over fueling scenario occurs (perhaps due to a sticky injector), the clue being that you need full throttle to get the car going again. Full throttle allows more air through, if that's what gets the car started then it indicates that a lot of air was needed to get the fuel mixture to be closer to what it should be.

Do you get an excess petrol smell when this problem occurs ?

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Actually no. Even though I was in a hurry, I opened the bonnet to see for any visible clue and didn't find anything suspicious and don't remember smelling any fuel either. But yeah I did need to push throttle half way almost to stop it from dying but as the revs climbed it felt like its misfiring or like blockage in fuel.... hasn't happened again but I do understand this is something serious..

Will fill up with BP first and plug in an OBD to see whats there.

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Filled 3/4 tank with BP @ 97.7p.
    The car is running fine.. plugged in OBD and no fault codes to be seen. Anyone know how to check pending codes in Torque Pro?

13. RobDunk76 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds like contaminated fuel? A miss-fuel from a tanker at the petrol station you first filled up at perhaps.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

maybe. maybe I was running too low and pump pick up rubbish inside the tank