Aftermarket Kit Diesel chip

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Monday 28th Mar, 2016.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would avoid them like the plague, just use your car in stock format it will live longer, if you need more power sell up for a faster car made for it.

but that is just me.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Proper remap on a rolling road to safe tolerances is the only way I'd go or like cj says a different car. I was lucky to have a brand new clutch and DMF installed just before the remap. It won't wear things out any quicker if you just drive normally but then there would be no point getting a remap! Lol So yes, it's bound to wear things out a little quicker whenever you make use of the extra torque etc.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I wouldn't have a remap or fit a chip - the I-CTDI clutch and DMF doesn't have much spare capacity (if any)!

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think 2-3 days ago a I-CDTI owner was here looking for help as 20k miles after his "remap" his car went into limp mode and he is having trouble getting it diagnosed and even Honda can't figure.

Doesn't mean people don't do it, they do, but if you are prepared to be always on your toes and a fear of something going wrong sooner or later and want keep an eye on MIL light and exhaust fumes then you can do it too.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    Sounds pretty conclusive then.
    I won't be getting it done.
    Thanks all

FirstHonda likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    A bit like a Scotland independence poll lol

8. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

9. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Been there, done it, bought the T-shirt!

Had the Quantum remap installed.

It was fun for a few days, but the MPG didn't improve and I thought that the extra power ruined the CR-V!

I had mine returned back to standard and had full refund under the 30day money back guarantee. I think it ruined the drivability on my CR-V.

As said already, if you are going to do this I would get a bespoke remap done on a rolling road. But bear in mind that the DMF & clutch are not the best with standard power!

Ichiban and FirstHonda like this.
  10. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

good to know and really appreciate the feedback

i may then consider going down the route of a pro remap including rolling road then ... was hoping a better ROI on Quantum as the local reseller here is someone i have done business with for may years and he is very fussy on what product he sells.

certainly the bespoke remap may have to be put on the back burner for the foreseeable as its more expensive to do

11. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Another little thing I have remembered. Before the chip remap the avg MPG display was very accurate and after remap it was very optimistic! So at first I thought, WOW, this is great. Power and better MPG.

However, brim to brim refills and manual calculations revealed that it was not any better. Even when I tried driving it so as to get the very best MPG it was not any better than before.

After I had remap put back to standard the avg MPG display returned to normal accurate self.

Now the cynical part of me thinks that the display was programmed to display better MPG as part of the remap! The more reasonable me thinks that the display algorithms just didn't work with the remap.

Ichiban and nsxer like this.