General Diesel Drivers Not Doing Research - Ending Up Wasting, Not Saving Money

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TheDarkKnight, Monday 23rd Apr, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is one of the reasons why I have resisted buying a diesel from a financial view point, the sums do not add up. For me looking after the car is like looking after another member of your family with no expense spared. I am sure people out there having bought diesel cars for better MPG, then make scarifies on servicing and garde of fuel just to save that extra money.

This has always been the case if you are doing 12500 miles a year, its better to stick to petrol cars.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like CJ, my Accord is a vital part of my family and equally, no expense is spared on it. People buy/use cars for a variety of reasons but when going down the diesel route, research is needed. Not many people bother and end up paying through the nose for it.

I'm fortunate that I can drive my car both long distances and small stop/start journeys without even having to think about DMF/DPF/XYZ issues....

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quick update on my 8th Generation Accord if I want a Diesel it can be here in 2 weeks , still have to wait till end of July for mine.

I had HH ring me today to give me my biweekly update.. TBH is carries on raining like it does I don't want my car in Summer, more than happy to wait when its dry.:Grin:

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I do wonder though, how many people, will read that article and still ignore it.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Reason I changed from diesel to petrol is I only do 6-7k miles a year.
    I bought diesel for economy,cheaper road tax etc etc but learned my lesson and swapped for petrol.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I read the article but it could have just simplified it by just saying "If you do city driving get a petrol"

I'm doing less than 10k a year but because of the roads I drive it works out cheaper than using my wife's petrol Ignis sport. I've tried both. Even though the book says 40mpg its actually 36 MPG v my 48mpg. Plus I love the quiet grunt of power of a diesel. :Grin:

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fuel economy: why your car won't match the official mpg - Telegraph

Worth a read. Not sure it warranted a new thread since it relates a bit to the original topic.

I can't say I agree with the nonsense written in it because I regularly get 60mpg-plus. Puts the likes of the Prius/LEAF etc to shame. :Rolf:

And on my last tank-to-tank refill, I managed to do 1190 miles. :Aghast:

Beat that baby! :Rolf:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last tank I did 440 beat that on a 2.4 :Drinks:

10. Mikem Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good article Saj on the same token will the UK government crack down on hydrocracked oil being sold as fully synthetic oil?

On the continent they have laws protecting the consumer.

11. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've given up explaining this to dumb people. Now i just tell them to put £1000 aside to sort the DPF as they only use their amazing 65+MPG diesel in a 2 mile round trip per day.

Dafties..... lol

Ichiban and SayamaAccord like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    On a petrol car it simply fill it petrol, put the fuel cap on and drive it = 100% reliability can't ask for more really.

13. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    I'd rather just drive a fuel efficient car, fewer miles (choosing alternate transportation). There's no real proof that paying $20k more than what i did will save me at least that much money in the first or second year of vehicle use.