Fuel Efficiency Diesel Engine Flush and Treatment

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by JAB, Friday 26th Feb, 2016.

1. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My car has just had it's first MOT, (I can't believe how quickly 3 years has gone by!) I combined this with the 62,500 service and the dealer recommended Fortron engine flush and diesel treatment.

Has anyone had any experience of these products and do you think they are worth the £24 I was charged?
    Hopefully over the next few weeks I may notice a slight improvement in fuel consumption although I am pleased with the average 50.8 MPG I have achieved over the 62,500 miles I have driven.

2. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Can't buy much for £24 these days, I guess if anything was to go wrong you've followed their procedure. I get angry when they always charge me for topping up screen wash , although I always fill it beforehand !

3. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Snake Oil leave it out!

Ichiban and Zebster like this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've never been a fan of engine flush... logically, some of it must get left behind and is now contaminating the fresh oil. What would it be 'flushing' anyway?

5. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the lovely build up of lubricating stuff, that makes the engine quiet, flush it out and we have a bag of spanners under the bonnet again. LOL

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    At 170k miles, I think it may be the sludge that's keeping it all going!

John Hamer likes this.
  7. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was sludge that kept the "tubs" moving when I worked underground.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBnlW2Blag6upv-pXdCLSegSFcardh9u4F0pCt6mInwpsC2yNE.

Zebster likes this.
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some may argue that the flushing agents will clear out the sludge that could restrict/block the oil pathways. However, as @Zebster has stated, "... logically, some of it must get left behind and is now contaminating the fresh oil."
    IMHO, if you want to 'flush out' he system, just do a couple of oil changes in quick succession.
    If you have to use these agents, then again, do a few oil changes in quick succession afterwards. It is unlikely that you will remove all of it, but you can significantly reduce what's left.

Alternatively, just change your oil every 6k (or less) and it will stay healthy. No need for flushing!

John Hamer and Zebster like this.
  9. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

+1

Nels likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nels likes this.