Engine & Gearbox Diesel Engine Fumes inside Car - need advice please

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sphinx, Tuesday 3rd Jul, 2012.

1. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Diesel Engine Fumes inside Car - (now with pics)

hi,

I can smell diesel engine fumes inside the car - but not all the time - seems intermittent.

I first noticed it the other day driving to work (A/C is set 20°) - but I thought it was coming from the car in front. However, I smelt it again on the way home with no car in front of me. It was faint, but definitely engine fumes.

I opened the bonnet and had a good sniff between the clutch and brake fluid reservoir (as suggested on some forums) but couldn't smell anything.

I know about the cracked manifold problem on these , and I don't think it has been done on this car.

Car is a 2007 2.2 I-CDTI.

Could it be anything else I can easily check before I book it in? Do really want to spend £100 or so for diagnosis if it is something simple.

Thanks.

EDIT - Fuel consumption seems still the same 45mpg in town, 63mpg on motorway.

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Jul, 2012
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get a bright light and look around the exhaust manifold for carbon residue around the welds toward the head.If you do you know the fumes are from the exhaust manifold and its on it way out.

Also look for small diesel fuel leaks around the fuel filter and injectors, fuel sweating are also the cause of smell. Or it a simple case of some works been down under the bonnet and diesel has been spilt around the engine bay.

Its a case of finding which it is really.

3. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for the quick reply.

No work has been carried out on the car. It was service by Honda last year April - so it due an oil service.

Will have a look tomorrow with a bright light - do I look from the top of the car or do I need to jack it up take the tray off and look under it?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you could look from underneath the car it will give you better picture, get the pictures up so we too can see and assist.

5. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

will do - hopefully it won't rain tomorrow.

Thanks for you help.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP bud look forward to tomorrow, provided its not chucking it down

7. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Right - stopped raining and sun came out.

Whipped off the cover and took a few pics.

DSC01022Custom.

I put my finger underneath the red arrow to check for soot - but it was clean.

DSC01029Custom2.

DSC01030Custom3.

Someone also suggested a leaky injector - to be honest I don't know what a leaky injector would look like - so I took some pics of them.

DSC01023Custom4.

DSC01025Custom5.

DSC01026Custom6.

DSC01027Custom7.

DSC01027Custom8.

Fired the car up again today in the driveway - no smell in the cabin or behind the bulkhead near the clutch reservoir.

Be grateful for any input.

Thanks.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I cannot see anything out of the ordinary in those pictures , as you said there was no smell today just monitor it .Alternative if you get a helper to give the engine some beans whilst stationary and smell for diesel fumes from the back of the engine.

That is sure way of knowing there isn't a issue with the manifold.

9. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - will keep an eye on it and let you know.

Cheers.

10. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why are the injectors colored?

Have you had any work done there recently?

11. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would have put money on it being the manifold but in those pictures it looks clean. As CJ has said just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse. Don't suppose you were following aa bus or something else that can be a bit smelly???

12. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

1st time i smelt it there was a old toyota previa - which I thought it was that.

2nd time - no car in front - but it was only a faint whiff.

Did have a headache the following day though.

Last edited: Wednesday 4th Jul, 2012
  13. Sphinx Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nope - not since I have owned the car - (been around 18 months now and I am the 2nd owner).

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is the Japanese quality control process of identifying a part has been torqued.