Engine & Gearbox diesel filter change

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by rcr, Monday 13th Feb, 2012.

1. rcr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I have a 04 Diesel and was wondering if changing the diesel filter is a big job

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and welcome to AOC ,we don't have the preface lift diesel fuel filter change for the time being. I have changed one a couple of years ago and it's not difficult but it can be time consuming. Give it a try it's not that hard.

Do remember to use genuine Honda diesel fuel filter.

3. rcr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the help, is there any tips I should know to do the job?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will try to list the top steps in a bit bud.

5. rcr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That would be great

6. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The job itself is more awkward then difficult. Hopefully CJ will be able to post the guide on how to do it for you when he gets a chamce. You must use a genuine filter though. A lot of members unfortunately learned the hard way and ended up doing the job twice.

7. rcr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the help Paul

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi sorry for the delay I have been thinking when I last did it over three years ago.

• Remove the engine cover.
    • Remove the air cleaner.
    • Remove the hand primer cover
    • Remove the two brackets holding the hand primer.
    • Remove the fuel heater bolts
    • Remove the bolt on the band clamp this is best done form below the engine with long extension.
    • Remove both fuel pipes i.e supply and return make sure you mark them so they are not fitted incorrectly.
    • Once the band clamp is loose remove the filter out of it housing
    • Install the new fuel filter make sure the bottom water drain screw isn't overtightened it will snap easily
    • Be careful not to deform any of the fuel pipes.
    • Bleed the fuel system by pressing the hand primer until its rock hard.Slacken off the 10mm top bolt next to the fuel pipes to chase out air on the top of the filter. Mop up with a rag
    • Stop bleeding when the fuel hand primer becomes hard and start the engine.
    • Check for any MIL on the dash or read the code after the job is done
    • Ensure the engine is idling correctly.

That complete the task, have fun.:Wink:

9. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    It´s really a big job, my last plan to change it failed at the point above.. cause my tool made a big fall into
    the extreme depth of my engine room :Happy: with all the other filter changes I never had any problems
    yet. It´s a great pity, that it is so difficult ...

Best regards :Wave:

10. Abax Shakrafi New Member Getting Started

Hi,
    I own a 2008 Honda Accord 7th generation. We changed the diesel filter and afterwards the engine check engine light came on with the glow plug light flashing. After several start ups the glow plug light stopped flashing but the check engine light is still on. Unfortunately my buddy has a computer only what can read fault codes in petrol engines. What could be the problem?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome to AOC, can you advise if you used a genuine Honda filter and the system was bleed after replacement? as for the code it will be guesswork without knowing what DTC is stored in the ECU.

12. Abax Shakrafi New Member Getting Started

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply. It was a genuine Honda filter but the bleeding might have not been done in the proper way. I talked to my friend who works in a Honda garage and he told me there might have been some air in the fuel filter when we started the car and the sensor sent a fault code to the computer. Even if the problem doesn`t exist any more the fault code won`t be delete by itself. So I need to take it to someone who can read and delete fault codes in diesel Hondas. If the problem will be solved I will come back and let you know.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Try bleeding it thoroughly and take it from there, the code may drop off.