Service & Maintenance Diesel Filter

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by canman, Sunday 23rd Aug, 2015.

1. canman New Member Getting Started

Ireland Fergal Mayo
    Hi,

I have a 2012 2.2 I-DTEC. Does anyone know where the fuel filter is ?

Regards
    Canman

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If it's an automatic, I remember @John Hamer discovering it to be in a completely different location!

5. John Hamer Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    Correct Zebster, If we are talking 8th Generation auto tourer, it will be found at the rear nearside underside, in front of the wheel, there is an excellent guide on here somewhere.

Zebster likes this.
  6. canman New Member Getting Started

Ireland Fergal Mayo
    Just to provide an update that may help a user.

The Diesel filter is below the ECU on the passenger side.
    Details on how to change it are below

I just removed the air box and the bracket that holds the airbox in place (the bracket with the two male points that get pushed into the airbox). This allows you to move the ECU out more.... i didn't have to disconnect the ECU or the battery
    I then removed all the screws around the ECU and unclipped the little plastic holders for the wires around the bracket for the ECU.
    This allowed me to move the ECU and I took off the bracket that is screwed into the side of the car body. I was then able to pull the ECU out where I could get down to the fuel filter

There is two plastic covers on the filter house (one on the cap and the other around the filter housing). I just pulled these off. I used a 89mm 15 flutes cap bought off ebay to take the filter head off. I had an issues where the cap depth was not high enough so I had to cut slices on the cap and tap the head of it up in order to make more room. I just re welded the cap head.

I used a long extension bar with a swivel socket head and the cap came off.
    I changed the filter and the rubber ring (put a little diesel on the new one). I sucked out all the diesel from the filter with a piece of pipe and a bulb primer.
    I screwed the new filter back on and put back the feed pipe. There is a mark where the filter should finish at (a pointed arrow) but you have to face the filter a certain way for the pipe feed anyway.

I then screwed back the ECU holder bracket and then screwed the ECU onto the bracket.I put back on the air box. I switched the ignition on for about thirty seconds and I heard the filter getting primed. I dd this about two times. It started first time

It took me about 2.5 hours as this was my first time at it. I would probably do it in an hour now but it is a right pain in the *** removing all the stuff to get to the filter

Canman

SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Thanks for posting the info @canman