General Diesel Fuel Filters - When to change?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nels, Thursday 1st May, 2014.

1. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This isn't specifically about Hondas, but a general question regarding fuel filters.

Most service schedules require it changing at a particular age or mileage.
    As far as I can see, replacement should be based on the amount of fuel that it has filtered.
    In most cases, this isn't that easy to measure, so mileage is a good guide.

If that is the case, is there anything in the filter that deteriorates with time, and thus requires replacement by age?

Interested to hear your views and/or experiences on this matter, as our second car has covered less than half the miles for the upcoming service, where a fuel filter change is listed.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Why not just go ahead and just change it ? You know it's done then and also that has been replaced with a genuine Honda one.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The Accord does the miles and is changes as scheduled :Smile:

It's the Fiesta that got me thinking: 3 year / 12500 mile service, done a lot less than half that mileage.
    I will end up changing it anyway.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A friend of mine have Ford Focus 1.8 tdci and if I remember correctly he changed fuel filter every two years.
    Is that recommended I am not sure.
    He had this Focus for a long time and never had issues with it.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Nels its one of my task to get the I-CTDI maintenance schedule up I will do it shortly.

But please if you find a information gap just drop me a PM or get a master thread going I want this in the guide section and tag me then I can give my immediate attention to it

:Thumbup:

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

No sweat boss.
    My question wasn't really about Hondas, more generic regarding fuel filters and when to change.
    That's why I put it in General Discussion

I follow manufacturer's schedules and have bought the oil and oil filter, plus the fuel filter in readiness for the upcoming service.
    This is for my wife's Fiesta, but it's covered less than half the miles listed for changing this filter.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I was interested in gauging opinion and obtaining a better understanding about fuel filters. :Wassat:

My cars follow what's recommended, it's just my nature to ask, 'Why?' :Lipsrsealed:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah just take my comments with a pinch of salt mate I have tunnel vision for Honda, others without this TV can and will assit you , I still don't care about other cars still LOL.

You will soon get to know my hard\dark side.:Niceone:

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Your responses don't upset me.
    I've lived through a lot worse.
    I just hope I haven't offended anyone either :Drinks:

Part of the fun on here is the diversity of the characters.

My rhetorical question would be, does your 'dark side' follow Vader or the Emperor, since one was saved and the other burned ? :Whistle:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You havent offended me bud, my dark side aint a patch on TDK's :Devil:

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hmmm don't know if he's been stirred into breathing fire after my 'MG showroom' or Californication posts?

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.