Suspension, Steering and Brakes Diesel Honda's VSA Modulator Light on with DTC66-1 stored in ECU

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 3rd Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda had issued a warranty extension for the following vehicles which included the 7th Generation Accord

Affected Honda cars are

Chassis Code CN1,CN2,EV1,RD8,RD9

Model Accord Saloon 7thge,Accord Tourer 7th Generation,Civic 5 Doors,CR-V Petrol,CR-V i-CTDi

Year Model 05,06,07,08

Symptom
    VSA light on, you must not get confused with the wheel sensors, the only way to determine if this code is stored on the ECU is by taking it to your Honda dealer or using a aftermarket reader which will interrogate the ABS and other sub systems. Normal generic reader may not pick up the DTC 66-1 code.

Cause

Open circuit in the VSA modulator pressure sensor due to a production fault at the supplier.The units are joint made by ATE and Bosch and countermeasure have been applied to the new modified parts

The Fix
    Pressure sensor production has been modified by the vendor, the only solution is to replace the VSA modulator based on your chassis code.

So you get the correct part for your car give the Honda dealer your VIN number so they can give you one of these revised VSA modules.

Part Number
    57110-S6E-G51
    57110-S9A-961
    57110-S9A-G01
    57110-SEF-E56
    57110-SEF-E61
    57110-SEG-E55
    57110-SEG-E61
    57110-SKN-G01

The Warranty Information
    Application: Warranty extension +3 years; mileage up to 62,000 miles. Higher mileage car normally get their claims declined as per this TSB guidelines.

Buyers TIP

Majority of the 7th Generation Accord diesel will be outside the remit of these TSB guidelines for extended warranty, so it is important to know when buying the car if this work has been done. It is known to be common knowledge a high percentage of diesels Accord will suffer this issue in their lifetime. There are a decent percentage of high mileage Accords out there that haven't had this issue at all and are still running the original VSA module fitted from the factory.
    To replace a VSA modulator outside warranty is in the excess of a £1000.00 at Honda dealers, so please ask and do your homework before buying your Diesel Accord and the other Honda affected by this issue.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread bump for visibility.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've been meaning to ask you for this info, didn't even know you had put it up. :GoodJob:

Do you have a list of the part numbers for the faulty units for comparison?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No mate I don't have all the part numbers for the faulty VSA's :Smile:

5. dc2blair Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mines had a full Honda service history all its life, so im hoping its been done at somepoint ! even though im only on 55k miles.

Think ill go raiding through the service history !

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Unfortunately this sort of repair will never be noted down in the service history. The only way for you to know is to walking in to your local friendly dealer and ask them to look up the warranty claims for your cars VIN number.

Honda dealers never give any customer any written proof of any warranty work carried out.

7. dc2blair Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

well on a 2006 with 55,000 miles im outside of there extended warranty work now anyway ?

So ill just keep my fingers crossed ... lol

8. addmanniw New Member Getting Started

Hello.

Sorry to bump an old thread but guess what? Driving home from a day out on Monday my VSA light and exclamation mark symbol came on, i've just run a self diagnosis check on the error (connecting pins 4 and 9) and got two errors. Error 61 (well I did need to jump start about 18 months ago) and the dreaded/feared Error.... 6 long flashes and 6 short flashes. Dreaded error 66.

She's driving okay and was only serviced/MOT'd 2 weeks ago so no immediate pressure on getting the issue fixed (she's driving fine) However i'm on 115,000 miles so no chance of Honda paying for the repair so I was investigating getting it out and shipping it to ecutesting to get the unit repaired for £165.

However i've discovered this thread and want some clarity on something. The opening post states:
    So you get the correct part for your car give the Honda dealer your VIN number so they can give you one of these revised VSA modules.

Part Number
    57110-S6E-G51
    57110-S9A-961
    57110-S9A-G01
    57110-SEF-E56
    57110-SEF-E61
    57110-SEG-E55
    57110-SEG-E61
    57110-SKN-G01

Now my car prior to my purchase was a company car and all the service records were at Fish Brothers Swindon Honda Dealership up until 2009

My VSA modulator number is: 57110 - SEG - E550 - M1

Does this mean it is the REVISED module?

If so, despite being outside the warranty period, should I take it to my Local Honda dealership (Northwood Honda who's dealings have never inspired me with confidence) to attempt a warrant claim as the revised unit should not be failing, irrespective of the mileage? Or will I just be wasting £50 for them to plug in the analysis computer to tell me what I already know and then quote me £2000 to fix?

Any one have any experience of the revised unit failing?

Bo_ likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Just have been quoted £2146.56 for the VSA modulator at Fish Brothers Honda in Swindon. Well, seeing as I am looking at replacing this car before its next MOT in August 2015 I will not be getting it fixed unless I can find it cheaper.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    A part from a breakers is probably the only route to a cheap replacement.

12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @bijomaru - had this problem myself earlier this year, changed it myself after having my own VSA unit reconditioned for 200 quid.

Electrical & Lights - VSA Warning Light

@daniel99 had the same problem and used the same company I used -

Suspension, Steering and Brakes - VSA Modulator Pipes

Easy enough to change it yourself, take your old unit out, send it to ECU Testing, they confirm its the 66-1 code, recondition it for you, and you put it back in. 200 quid. Details on my first post. Honda quoted me 2k as well and I just laughed at them. Its quite an easy fix mate, I wouldn't stress over it.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Wow. Worth a try I guess. If I take it out am I still ok to drive the car without it in place?

14. Nighthawk Guest

No mate, you won't have any brakes whatsoever, all the brake lines go into the modulator for it to work. You literally will not have any brakes, you will have a huge hole in your braking system when you remove it.

Two people have tried that ECU Testing company, both complete success stories - I would try them. I doubt you would get a modulator from a scrappy for less than that anyway.

15. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

:Smile: Sounds good :Wink: Ok wasn't sure where it actually goes.

Ok well need to think about a replacement car then for the time being. From your experience how long did it take from sending it off to having it back?

16. Nighthawk Guest

If you read my post, the first link, I drove it up to them as I needed the car back on the road ASAP. They turned it around for me within 24 hours (working day wise). But I did drop it off to them and pick it up again afterwards.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Here you go - read this

VSA Module Change (Diesel)