Diesel Jazz

Discussion in '4th Generation (2015)' started by benlovesgoddess, Thursday 5th Nov, 2015.

1. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Bridlington
    Hi
    I own a Hyundai i20, and recently discovered an excellent India based Facebook i20 Fan club. They showed the i20 against the competition in a local auto article, and a Jazz diesel was listed - showing 25% better economy figures than the i20! I would gladly have bought a Jazz diesel, but saw none available in the UK in 2013. Are they available now?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No the I-DTEC 1.5 engine is only designed for the Indian market in the Brio and Jazz.

3. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - I had guessed as much, what a shame! I wonder why some manufacturers offer no diesel versions of their small cars. I would have considered a Mazda 2 (love that green!), but also liked the light green Jazz I saw at the time I was shopping for a car. Does anyone know the Honda reason as to why it is unavailable anywhere but India?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Out of interest, what sort of mileage do you get out of your Jazz Hybrid?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    58-62 MPG it not an easy task to get that mileage a lot of discipline but you can have fun also whilst achieving that MPG.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There's no point in a Jazz diesel when the petrol engines easily achieve 55mpg

FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup and that MPG is achievable as for diesel you will have to pray to gods of weasel to achieve that.They are unrefined and horrid for people inhaling its weasel fumes.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

The most sensible thing you've said all night, the rest was just like blluuurrrggg <<insert puking emoticon>>
    :Grin:

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I know trip computers do over estimate the mileage by certain percentages but I still think this is an incredible number given my car has done 96,000miles and is 11 years old. and this is the average over 110 miles.. No one needs a pesky diesel
    . 93258_20151031_223111.

FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Who said petrol engine can't be fuel efficient.

legend-ary likes this.
  10. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Why settle for 55 MPG when you can have 70 MPG and free road tax?! In my 1.1 3 cyl i20 Blue Drive diesel I have averaged 69 - 70 real MPG over the last 8000 miles. The trip computer is always wrong, only trust full tank to full tank calculations. My car cheerily told me to expect 78.2 MPG when I filled up this morning. I got 69.75 MPG. As the diesel Jazz claimed 25% better mileage than the diesel i20 (but presumably the 1.4) I wonder if it would beat my model. How much does a Hybrid Jazz cost? With metallic paint, my i20 was £12,700. Petrol engines can be efficient, but the diesel equivalent will always be MORE efficient...!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Our CR-V has averaged 43.1 MPG over the last 4,000 miles. The Hyundai 4x4 offering, a Santa Fe, will be lucky to return 33 MPG, which makes me think a diesel Jazz would be a good thing!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ah - file opened, 57 MPG nice! However, 57 MPG over what distance? What conditions? I can reset my counter, and it will show 100 MPG! I have a ScangaugeE that will show a photo of 9999 MPG! My figures are from driving 2 people to work and back over hilly rural back roads. True, I drive for economy, but I fill up usually over 600 miles a tank. Just rechecked Fuelly and I ve been maintaining almost 70 MPG for 9,500 miles, with no motorway trips!

11. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, missed you said 110 miles!

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The problem with a Hyundai is that it will be worth next to nothing after 3 years whereas the Jazz has one of the highest % residual values in the UK. So if you balance it out I bet the Jazz is on par with the Korean box for cost of ownership.

13. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If I was stupid enough to sell it after 3 years! I will keep it for at least 10 years, maybe more. It will probably be my sons first car... It has proved very reliable over 2 years and 33,000 miles and has 3 years warranty remaining. It drives well enough and has been economical (when driven with a Scangauge). I'm not interested in petrol cars, but a Honda Jazz diesel may have done it for me!

14. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Each to their own I suppose.

I prefer petrol over diesel. I think they're yesterday's news nowadays.

15. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Seems to be the way - most people are heavily pro one and anti the other! I understood diesel sales to make up 50% of the UK (and 70% of the French!) market, and to be growing. Whether they are in fact yesterday's news, I don't really care as long as I can have one! My question is answered anyway; Diesel Jazz exists in India only.

16. benlovesgoddess Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Based on data from 12 vehicles, 280 fuel-ups and 85,497 miles of driving, the 2004 Honda Jazz gets a combined Avg UK MPG of 41.45 with a 0.69 UK MPG margin of error. Quote taken from Fuelly, based on full tank data entered by (usually fuel economy conscious) real drivers. When you compare an actual average 41 MPG, rather than a rogue 57 MPG, you ca see why there will always be a loving home for "pesky" diesels!

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ If you are doing the miles to offset the additional initial purchase price, then a diesel makes a lot of sense. With the current taxation system, they also make more sense (generally speaking) than a petrol as a company car.

BUT if the rumours about plans for additional - and punitive - taxation for diesels are enacted in either the Autumn Statement or the next Budget then any advantages may be more marginal.

It will be interesting to see how the Government manages to bring in more revenue on the back of the VAG scandal - after all, they don't normally need too much of an excuse! Politically, the only issue will be any negative impact on diesel vehicle resale prices after years of encouraging them, but there's plenty of time for people to forget before the next election...