Fuel Efficiency Diesel mpg 3rd Generation 2.2 CTDi

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by HNY, Tuesday 23rd Apr, 2013.

1. HNY Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dyfed
    Hi all. I'm new to this forum but not to CR-Vs - I'm on number 3, the first two were Mark 2s. Anyway, I've bought my current 3rd Generation two weeks ago obviously second hand. From a dealership, full service history, very tidy etc. However, I am struggling to get and maintain 36-37 MPG from it driving extremely carefully - whereas I was getting 42 from the old one. My question is, are the Mark 3s known to be worse on MPG than the Mark 2s? I do 20,000 miles per year and at 12-13% more fuel use, that adds up in diesel cost over the 12 months. Appreciate any guidance or comments. Many thanks, Matt, aka HNY

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Your car will be an I-DTEC I would suspect it needs a full service .. When was the last service done?

welcome to the forum another CR-V owner joins the ranks.

3. HNY Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dyfed
    Thanks Ichiban. It's definitely a CDTi. It's an 08 with 62,000 miles. My old 05 2nd Generation was the same engine i think but I was getting 42mpg on 100,000 mile. It's just had a full service. It was done before I picked it up.

4. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Welcome to the AOC Matt, always good to see more CR-V owners on here. I too run a third generation 58 CR-V 2.2 CTDi, I find running about on shortish trips, all stop start sort of stuff, my MPG is around the 37 - 38 mark.
    However, every day normal driving, my usual MPG is always over 40. The computer shows 47.3 at the moment, but I have been nursing it a bit with my last tank full, treating the "loud" pedal like an egg shell.
    I have found to get good fuel consumption, keeping the revs at or about 2k seems to work.

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I-DTEC came late in 2009 I believe on the facelifted 3rd Generation CR-V :Thumbup:

6. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My CTDi doesnt like short trips / cold engine mid 30's, but a recent trip to the coast without trying netted 47mpg:Thumbup:

7. HNY Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dyfed
    Thanks for the useful info guys! It appears mine has a problem somewhere then. For example, I went to Cardiff and back along the M4 with some starts and stops either end but the round trip would be about 140 miles. I set the cruise to 76 which means I would have been doing 74 (I calibrated it to the TomTom) and I struggled to get over 36. It also feels a bit sluggish. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can ask the dealer to check on it? These days they always suggest ''plugging it in' but will that really tell you everything? Thanks again

8. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keep it below 70, aero dynamics of a brick effects MPG at them speeds, also Cruise control although convenient has an effect on MPG. Eco driving speed up on down hill slopes steady on the flat let momentum slow you uphill. With crusie control on Revs are kept higher and MPG worse.

9. HNY Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dyfed
    The plot thickens. My CR-V went back in for three days to do some paint work which they'd promised but not done when I initially picked it up. They gave me a 2nd Generation CR-V to use and driving that exactly the same way I got 41.5 MPG. I told Honda and their approach was slightly mocking as if I was making a fuss about nothing. They plugged it in and said there were no faults and it was fine. However I'm puzzled how the same engine can deliver such different MPG. Can anyone think of a reason for this? Many thanks in advance. Matt

Last edited: Saturday 27th Apr, 2013
  10. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Wheel size will make a difference. The bigger wheel will increase fuel consumption.

11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

But not by 4-5 MPG

12. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Could be any number of reasons for poor fuel consumption, under inflated tyres, sticking brake caliper, the list goes on.
    Have just checked my MPG since buying the car, and the worst ever was 33.6 and the best a shade over 45. The readings were taken using the fill to brim method, so fairly accurate.
    A difference of nearly 12 MPG is quite a lot, and to be honest I have no logical reason why this is so.

13. HNY Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dyfed
    Update. When I went to collect it again I got the sales guy to drive it. He said "I see what you mean, it's very tight isn't it and doesn't pull as they normally do. I think it needs to be driven hard for a bit through the revs and clear it out" Well I did this by red lining the revs back and forth on a 1.5 mile stretch of road near me, so three miles altogether.
    Do you know what, it worked. I'm now driving it as normal and I'm getting 43 MPG. Seems like a bit of a 'get the hammer out' type of fix, but it worked!

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well if it worked brill. Happy days ahead

15. Buzz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Buzz North Wales
    Just a thought.....Brakes not releasing correctly on all wheels, handbrake dragging, Neither of which will show up on the 'computer'

16. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Hi welcome, Do you think you might have a little problem with the engine not reaching its operating temperature, do you have any tight running gear like A/C compressor,water pump that might be putting extra loading on the engine. Do you have a sticking pad/disc that would put extra loading on the prime mover(engine). I would keep an open mine on everything. I know you have just got this SUV but I keep telling everyone I meet to check you car four times a year for MPG tank to tank. check it through the seasons and for local and motor way driving. I would check each wheel to see if any one looks blacker than the other and jack it up to check how free each wheel is....As for plugging in the computer, This has been the best invention for the guy who knows nothing to HID behind. lots of times the problem is out in the field