Engine & Gearbox Diesel oil question

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by FOXX, Friday 20th Feb, 2015.

1. FOXX Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dave Hitchin
    Hi All,

I know this has been covered many times before, but was wondering if you would part with some advice please.

All threads i have read regarding the type of oil which should be used in a 2.2 I-CDTI strongly suggests 0W-30 and nothing else. However, the car I bought recently has a full Honda service history, which states that Mobil 1 5W-30 has been used on each service. My question is, due to the mileage (119K) should I continue to use 5W-30 or change to 0W-30 from now on. I don't want to risk engine damage by changing the oil.

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its set in stone mate you should only use 0w-30 , 5w-30 is just wrong oil but some people just ignore it no matter what and think they know better.

Attached Files:

3. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Castrol Edge 0w-30 all the way.

Racy Jace likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have used Castrol Edge and Mobil 1 0w-30 oil. She burns the Mobil oil a little bit where she never touched the oil when it was Castrol. I am probably going to buy my next oil from Honda directly when I give her another service in a few months.

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine never touched the factory Castrol 0W-30. 2,000miles since service and she's used 1/8 of Shell Helix 5W-30. There seems to be conflicting guidance from all directions as to what's correct and what isn't. I'm still convinced that, from the wording in the handbook, 0W-30 is correct and 5W-30 is for exactly what the book says - for use, temporarily, when 5W-30 is unavailable. Not even HUK can clarify though.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The Honda oil chart does not advise 5W-30 at all (except on models we cannot get and then only in Russia and Ukraine) but it's use seems widespread. I'd go by the Honda oil chart though. Is it possible to contact Honda R&D in Japan directly for clarification?

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've read elsewhere that 0w-30 (rather than 5w-30) is due to it being a 'European' recommendation, as at normal UK cold temperatures there won't really be much cold flow benefit gained from using 0w over 5w. But I'm not disagreeing with sticking to a 0w-30 (and have always used this myself), I just wouldn't want anyone to panic unnecessarily if they discover that a 5w-30 was used at the last service.

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I drive a petrol but I am sure in the handbook it states quite cleary that 0W30 should be used in the diesel engines. I am sure its a seperate staement somehwere.
    The guys on here are all very knowledgable so go with these guys.

If the engine is running sweet I cannot see any harm in changing to the recommended 0W30. I always stick castol in mine it seems to be very good stuff.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

0W-30 for diesels and 0W-20 for petrol.
    That's what Honda recommends for Europe.

John Dickson and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Simple aint it but the arguments we have on this just ..FFS it can't get simpler than that why do people not conform to what is set in stone.

John Dickson likes this.
  10. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    If in doubt go with the 0W-30

As you know, the 0/5 is the weight/viscosity of the oil when cold. So having a thinner oil when cold will circulate a lot easier around the system.
    The best thing for any engine is thinner oil at cold startup, which is when most of the wear occurs.