Engine & Gearbox Diesel or Petrol Civic ?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by SpeedyGee, Tuesday 14th Aug, 2012.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My neice is looking for a change of car, she has about £5k-£6k budget.

She wants a Civic and is a Uni student that will be travelling a fair bit, should she go with a diesel or petrol version ?

2. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For more reliability I'd go with petrol. Less likely expensive future problems.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Reliability and for students seeking a lower cost motoring,the winner will be petrol. what you will save in repairing the Diesel car you will spend in Petrol. Most importantly you will be away from garages getting the oil burner repaired and carry on with your lives. :Wink:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I had told here, good to get a confirmation though :Smile:

5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oi they're not that bad.:Tongue:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Whistle: Just plain and straight talking common sense .lol

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine you if it's a Civic isn't that built in Swindon?
    If so you probably take your chances petrol or diesel.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The NP4 engine aka the R18 & R20 have had their share of own goals due to breakdown in process at Swindon. But on the whole they are reliable as Japanese made Petrol cars.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Just an update, we managed to find her a a nicely specced 56 plate 1.8 (petrol) Civic with built in Sat Nav etc.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    :Need Pics:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LOL. She's on hols at the moment I'll request a pic from her when she gets back.

12. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a new N reg Civic Company car ,Swindon made ,Three Years ,60,000 Miles ,inccured Headlamp bulb failure ,and that was the it for faults ,it was driven very hard ,but i think that is beneficial ,unfortunately i now pay for petrol ,and of course there is more speed cameras so i drive a lot more carefully .
    All Hondas are good ,however Japanese made are the best .

Last edited: Tuesday 5th Feb, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  13. stueymalton Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Petrol Civics are awesome. I've had a 2001 1.6 SE Civic for nearly 5 years and it has never missed a beat. 108k on the clock. Sailed through MOT's without advisories. Have never even had it serviced, just changed oil and oil filter every 7k myself and changed out brake pads. Good choice :0)