Pre-Purchase Diesel or petrol decision

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by FirstHonda, Saturday 3rd Sep, 2016.

1. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My sister is thinking of trading her 3 year old CR-V petrol for a 1.6 I-DTEC automatic.

Doing about 15k miles a year, I've said I'm unconvinced at the merits of the diesel, but I'm told the drive is better.

Thoughts?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Does she like excellent fuel economy, but hates CO2? Gotta be diesel!

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Has she had a good, long test drive in one?

Are the fuel savings sufficient to offset the higher purchase price and other running /servicing costs?

I've driven the 2.2 and 1.6 I-DTEC CR-Vs and they are smashing, but I would still tend towards petrol. Even on a long run, with a light foot, you can get a very decent MPG.
    Additionally, who knows what extra/increased taxes will be levied upon diesel cars?

However, the greater her mileage, the better the case for diesel.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Reliability is very important, hence my view to stay with petrol.

Justified?

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    For high mileages (and I think 15k pa meets that test) there is still a case to be made for diesel - but when the rising tide of criticism over diesel emissions and the concomitant increasing regulation (punitive parking charges in some London boroughs, etc.) together with all the additional emission control equipment, e.g. SCR, DPF's, EGR valves, EGR coolers and not forgetting DMF's, is taken into account, think on balance, the future of small diesel engines in PMCs is not rosy and I would avoid them.

Keith

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    won't make any difference what any of us say ...it will be the colour that sways it

MickyB, FirstHonda, Lisbon and 2 others like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Looks like she is going with a diesel CR-V...and yes, colour is seemingly VERY important to her (she wants the passion red pearl).

:Laughing:

Hatter and jimjams like this.
  8. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Diesel is only better on high CC engines. Definitely not on 1.6. Diesel is old technology and cannot get any better. However petrol is getting better, more efficient, more MPG, less engine noise. We have a petrol CR-V 2.0 I-vtek. I would check things like circulation licence/road tax petrol / diesel, maintenance cost, miles per year. If auto transmission the 9 speed ZF rocks and should give 10% fuel economy savings compared to my 5 speed automatic.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Diesel can be improved on and can get more refined. As will all things - technology improves. Petrol also used to be very rough and harsh, its only through years and billions spent on development that it is where it is now.

I think you will find that high revving 8 ltr V12s prefer petrol over diesel so to say that diesel is only better on large CC engines is absurd.

A diesel is a slogging engine, for slow heavy pulling (primarily), not a performance one, whereas petrol is more for performance and not slogging.

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I meant on fuel consumption. Sorry for not making this clear (diesel is better on high CC engines). There are no more development costs on diesel. It has reached its peak whereas petrol is improving all the time and is reaching the diesel figure at low CC engines :Smile:

11. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pimp up a 1.6 lt diesel to 160PS, stick a nine speed auto on the end and connect it to 4WD and you definitely get a slogger!

Nighthawk and FirstHonda like this.
  12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

CR-V 2.0i I-vtek 9 speed petrol zf auto vs 1.6 diesel 9 speed zf auto. For me diesel is for lorrys tractors and buses.

13. Nighthawk Guest

Just because you don't like diesels doesnt mean that they are not efficient or capable, it just means that they are right for you, just as they arent right for thousands of other people, but on the other hand, they are right for others.

Nels and PanayiotisPal like this.
  14. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having driven a 2.7lt diesel V6 twin turbo XJ Sport for many years, my experience was it was a great performance car and a great grand tourer. 250bhp on an aluminium chassis/body ensured quick acceleration whilst the wide ranging torque profile made it effortless to drive on long journeys. And an average of 39mpg.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I might have bought a petrol CR-V if it had had a 9 speed auto. But I think they only have 5. I loved motorway cruising in my two first Accords, but not so much cross-country. Which is painless and (with the 160hp version) as swift as the road markings will allow.

17. crv2014ex Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom andy chesterfield
    There was a programme on the other month about the history of diesel engines and 95% of all freight is pulled pushed manhandled by a diesel engine of some kind. The only mode of transportation not using a diesel engine is aeroplanes.
    Whether you have a electric car , diesel, hybrid or petrol car the government will tax it to the hilt. It's not about the environment, agreements or anything else, its about taxation and balancing the books indirectly.
    If every car had zero road tax that's £45 to £50 billion not going into HM government.
    Have what you want and what fits your needs. Life's not a trial run so enjoy yourself while your here, within reason.
    I pull a large caravan and a wife that takes everything and the kitchen sink so I opted for the 2.2 diesel.

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Well said Andy!

19. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It is all about exploiting the system :Smile:. Well written/said

Last edited: Wednesday 7th Sep, 2016
  20. Nighthawk Guest

Well said andy. You only go round the world once. Enjoy the journey doing and driving whatever makes you happy.

After all, you can't take it with you