General Diesel Scrappage Scheme

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nighthawk, Tuesday 9th Dec, 2014.

1. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
  2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Not too late to buy a petrol Accord SE? Still on my drive.

3. Nighthawk Guest

Lemme think about that for a second.....

Anyway, 2020 is the year they are suggesting, so thats another 5 more might as well say. By then the new accord will be out. Either that or I will have emmigrated - one of the two.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's clearly just another stealth tax and not about the environment or health. Why is it always about adding tax and duty? Why do they never say that because diesels are now seen as more polluting then we'll reduce petrol VED instead? Because it's only about getting more money.

vzh7gk likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Totally agree. IMHO it would be far more productive to reduce taxation on petrol cars & fuel and give a POSITIVE reason to drive behaviour change, if that is the solution.

Instead, has anybody else noticed that the gap between petrol & diesel prices seems to have narrowed? I've seen diesel at £1.19 per litre, with petrol at £1.16 at the same station. Sure the gap used to be bigger than that...?

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm sure it was always at least 10p difference in my area, there's probably a website somewhere that will show it. Does anyone know why wholesale prices are dropping? I'm assuming that's why the pump prices are dropping?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Finally they have woken up I have always maintained these filthy smoky machine should be banished and finally my answers are prayed!! Always hated them and now a new law for lower VED for petrol car reverse what Gordon Brown did on VED rates and phase out the shyte that is diesels.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I for one completely welcome this, as a diesel scrappage scheme isn't going to pull lots of classics off the road like the last one did. Hopefully it'll put more petrols back and see more hybrids, and that's way better for the environment.

Ichiban likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    John Dickson likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I cannot argue about all diesels, but some are not the soot belching monstrosities you and I want off the road.

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They still release tons more harmful chemicals into the atmosphere than petrols though @Nels, that's the big point.

Nels likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

lol @Ichiban , somehow, I knew that you would love to read this thread.

Not getting rid of my baby until I absolutely have to.

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Can't argue with that @DeviateDefiant. Many of us were misled about diesels some years ago by a previous government. Changing cars is a big financial outlay and one that I don't enter into often.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    To me something doesn't add up here. Why is the EU clamping down on the UK when our use of diesel cars (% wise) must be lower than most of our European "partners". Remember too that the cost of diesel fuel here is among the highest in the whole of Europe and in most countries the cost of diesel is lower, often by a considerable amount, than petrol

Or is this some twisted government propaganda to try and dilute some of the benefits in running costs that diesel owners here have enjoyed in the past few years and which has made diesel cars so popular?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I accepts that argument, but diesel owners are the first to tinker to remove DPF to get a easier life, Manufacturers are doing everything technological possible to limit the impact but it does not help when VOSA's own governance is so open ended to personal interpretation and no fear of penalties from anyone. So you have this situation where so many car are out there which have been tinkered, I personally would fine these owners for this situation but that is not going to happen.
    The government was told to lower the CO2 footprint but took a blind to all the other factors and diesel was the new messiah to met c02 targets . Finally we can have blue skies for our children without the diesel stench which is all major cities today.

Finally we will now see Honda's might in the Hybrid technologies, It was for the diesel which chased out the technology in Europe. I won't be surprised to see all new Honda model to have a Hybrid option in Europe from now.

environ_design_large_BlueSkiesLogo.

I have always bitten my tongue on this topic as diesel owners here and previous clubs are very vicarious to any criticism on their rattle and hum machines. I say to them sell your cars get the best solicitor and sue the government LOL let see you far you get. Long live Petrol.

John Dickson likes this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

I agree CJ, I think it is a matter of time until hybrid becomes a regular option. All we need now is a 10th Generation accord or at least a valid replacement.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If diesel owners want to hold someone responsible then it was the Labour government who embraced this ridiculous narrow minded path of meeting C02 targets . EU did sod all it was labour who told business to take up diesel cars pushed them all the way to know find the chief EU medical officer to say the diesel smoke now actually is really bad.. no Sh1t Sherlock those same concerns were still there but someone made a lot of money pushing the idea of weasel engines.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Well the timing of this is music for my ears the 9th Generation Accord is sold in Japan the Yen at record lows well its perfect conditions get right back into the C segments and get the exports up from Japan. No doubt these discussions will be taking place right now to fast track the 4th Generation Hybrid Jazz, 2nd Hen HR-V hybrid. I may be bold enough to say Honda will kick start the technological expertise to build all Swindon cars with IMA engines.

I can very easily see the 10th Generation Civic as a hybrid option only with McLaren F1 Honda team Honda will soon fast track the technologies transfer from track to car, for Honda to mobilise this is easier than a roll out of a new diesel car.

boo yeah ... good time are back !!