General Diesel Timing Chains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chunkymonkey, Tuesday 17th Nov, 2015.

1. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    I have read a few threads on here and the wider net about the timing chains requiring replacement on the 2.2. I know about the Honda extended warranty some years ago but my questions are
    1 How common is the problem
    2 Does it effect some models more than others
    3 When they do need replacing what is the likely cost

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    1. Reasonably common on older, PFL Accords. But still happens on later N22 engines.
    2. Early N22s are more affected. The tensioners were modified for the FL Accord, so post-2006 N22s are more tolerant of chain wear as these redesigned tensioners havea greater range.
    3. That depends on where you have it done and whether they get the injectors out without wrecking any... Its a fairly big job and could be up to £2k, but I reckon you could DIY it for as little as £200... I did mine for £350, but (unusually for me) I cautiously replaced the oil pump chain tensioner (costs £155!!!) as It's a real pig to get to IF you later discover it needs replacing after you've reassembled the engine (the cam chain tensioner can be replaced fairly easily, so I refitted the original one... Both my tensioners looked fine).

3. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Thanks for the reply Seb, I am hoping to keep my CR-V for quite a few years yet so I am hoping in the future I won't be affected by this