General Diesels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Thursday 1st May, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Interesting article. I never believed that big belch of black smoke could be safe! lol

Does this mean I'm being charged a premium for my 2.4 n/a and 2.3 Turbo because I'm NOT killing people but all these wrap-around sunglasses at night wearing Bavarian fatherland tractor driving behaving mofos are being rewarded with nice low VED rates? Grrrrrr

Diesel engine pollution linked to early deaths and costs NHS billions | Environment | theguardian.com

and the sensational rag version....

Diesel is killing thousands say experts, after bullying us into buying the 'green' fuel cars | Mail Online

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

LOL love that Mail article where he describes diesel rattling like a pneumatic drill.That made me laugh.

John Dickson likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Makes me wonder if the lower VED offered to diesels is offset by the higher amount of Duty and VAT they will collect from diesel being more expensive? Although they get better MPG so I suspect petrol cars will probably still pay a little more.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm saying nothing about the high quality, journalistic merits of The Mail :Lipsrsealed:

The big plus point for us is that with all the rain we usually get, it cleans up our air !

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    And the Guardian?

Most papers are crap to be honest, although the FT seems not too bad.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Don't read that one much to be honest, but when I have, they have their own agenda too.
    Being a sad old git, I've found that very few, if any, newspapers give you a balanced report.
    They all have their political or financial drivers / undertones.

Their place in the world is to wrap a piece of plaice and chips !

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Diesel engines clodge my air filter and airco filter with sooth.

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Totally agree with you I changed my 8th Generation air filter at 15K and it was filthy it had an oily residue. This is the air we are breathing.

I have hated diesel all my life and still do, I have always thought of them dirty and this so called lower footprint of C02 we all have been brainwashed the diesel is the saviour. I hope the tables turn and Hydrogen and Hybrid car are the given the chance to thrive.

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I-DTEC is probably the best engine in the crowd of filthy, smelly, cancer causing, fuel guzzling, clattery Satan fuels out there.

Lower CO2 footprint maybe JUST! I get 10MPG more at the VERY best out of my I-DTEC than my 2.0iVTEC. Haven't seen any signs of the cloud of filthy black sh!te out of the tail pipe yet but I'm half expecting to find a scale model of the Northumberland Coalfield on my white rear bumper soon... I hang my head in shame at the thought of the embarrassing black oily haze and cancerous particles I leave behind me every day.

I should've said "P1$$ off and get me a 2.4!" :lol:

At least a petrol engine cleans the air it draws in so therefore you should be paid by the government to drive petrol. The bigger the petrol engine the more you should be paid as you are drawing more air in to clean through your catalyst. It's a Civil service you are providing cleaning the air and isn't CO2 good for the trees? :lol:

i-DSI likes this.
  10. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The only advantage of filthy, dirty Satan fuel is you get a better residual as many people still fall for the diesel "economy" fable.

Having said what I have said about diesel, I still love my diesel Accord. It is the best diesel I have ever driven but there is just a little something missing it's not quite the same as a petrol Accord.
    I love the shove it has but put a turbo on the R20A3 engine or the K24A engine and see what happens :Happy: :Whoosh: :vtec:

Last edited: Thursday 1st May, 2014
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I can understand your feelings about diesels, I felt a bit like that before the I-CTDI came out.
    When it was released, it was a huge step forward and the I-DTEC is better still.
    It is wrong to stereotype them all as bad. They are getting better.

The big problem is, all the old or poorly maintained diesels pouring out filthy fumes.
    Additionally, don't forget there are plenty of old petrol vehicles also polluting our air.
    Not to mention the two stroke bikes ! :Whistle:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I serviced a diesel a few weeks back, boy did I feel dirty afterwards :Tongue::PullFaces:

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thought you petrol boys wouldn't lower yourselves and actually touch a diesel engine :Rolf:

Besides which, I've got a nice clean engine :Innocent:

Then again, glad to hear you've actually 'taken the plunge', or is that 'dipped your toe'? :Smile:

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My previous car was black beauty Accord 7th Generation @Nels and I loved it to bits, dare I say it more then my current one but it was giving me trouble so had to get rid of it.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It was forced upon me :Whiteflag:

Nels and AccordCU2 like this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Funny you mention clean engine bay, I did actually clean the diesel engine bay before I started. I don't think it have ever been cleaned, it was bugging me, so gave a it a courtesy clean.

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you got any pictures? :Photographer:
    I'd love to see them :Smile:

I HATE dirty engines. I must confess, mine isn't spotless, but then again I have got a little OCD :Innocent:
    It's not that difficult to keep at least the parts that need regular checks clean.

Well done on you for putting them to shame :Icecream:

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I have a habit of cleaning the engine bays of cars that come to me LOL Just can't help it .. it doesn't take long either really.

Nels likes this.
  19. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I must have some home @Nels.post it later when I get home.

20. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Found one on my phone
    IMAG0011.

John Dickson, Nels and SpeedyGee like this.