General Digital Radio

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SayamaAccord, Friday 2nd Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Apparently analogue radio is to cease broadcasting in the not-too-distant future which will mean modifying current in-car setups.

Options include using a mobile phone or buying a new radio.

The radio option includes getting a new aerial apparently, although I'm wondering if this is necessary or if the existing 7th Generation aerial, which in the Tourer is affixed to the rear side window in the same way as a rear window demister, will suffice.

Anyone have any more info on this?

2. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It's likely another decade before Analogue is switched off, despite heavy promotion of the cr*p that is DAB there isn't the installed user base to change over any time soon - even though the state wants to re-sell that airspace.
    It's more likely you'll be using internet radio next - yes even in the car - or at least DAB+ (which has much better sound quality and more efficient codecs).
    Whatever happens there will be a mass of user options (including all new cars having a suitable radio) hitting the market in time for the big switch off so your options (price & tech) will be much greater nearer the time, I'd hold off and skip DAB.

just had a though of a rush hour traffic Jam with everyone using a DAB>FM converters at 101.1 interference FM.. not good.

Az

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been told by reliable sources Honda UK has been testing a DAB backward compatible device. It will be a plug and play device module which will sit behind the dash board and will give full DAB integration into the existing Radio.

This device was to be released last March but with the natural disasters in Japan and Thailand the development was stalled. However these devices are currently undergoing trail on the Honda fleet cars. We the customer should hopefully see this device on sale at Honda dealers shortly and I expect the guide price to be in the region of £300.00 . I have no doubt when these land the aftermarket companies will be creating clone at half price.

Primarycare likes this.
  4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i would be telling porkies if i said i knew the exact date as I've have forgotten where the link was. it was recently on an internet news website asking all the major manufacturers there view on dab and ime sure honda plan to include it as standard within the next year or so. most manufacturers have said the national coverage is not yet good enough and the quality would not satisfy there customer base. as it always is with these things, better tech comes along and depending on its popularity determines how quick the take up is and how long it lasts before the next. i reccon cd's will be replaced by sdd's and downloads next, may take 10 or 20 years but it will happen

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We recently bought a DAB radio and to be honest we were disappointed with it and took it back. Internet radio will probably be the way it goes.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally think the car which allow tethering with 3G and the coming 4G will add the Internet bridge with cars. I can see the future telecom companies doing car sim deals soon. You heard this here FIRST.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    there are plenty of things in the pipeline i am sure. i bet alpine and pioneer are testing it right now! its scary how quick technology is progressing. god knows what life will be like in a decade, things will certainly be different

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda UK are still testing these DAB radios no idea when they will surface? They can do its with it launch now with the new Civic out.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quick update the Honda backward compatible DAB radio release is imminent .. Watch this space for news.

10. Benji Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I sure hope analogue isn't switched off anytime soon! My current mobile phone doesn't have the capability to play music from the internet, and I have never tried downloading any to it. I guess I could just switch over to using my iPod exclusively if this does happen.

11. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any more news on this backward compatable radio..?
    is it for the 8th Generation..?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nope bud, Honda on its field test highlighted a flaw to the manufacturer,it been send back to be addressed.

Unfortunately that pushed back slightly,but that's Honda for you until its perfect they will not release it.. after all it their name on it.

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am going to hold out till I see the Honda one and see how easy the install is. No doubt the Honda will be slightly dearer but some good features on the Highway 300Di.

15. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Will the Honda digital radio be integrated into the standard head unit or will it be a separate device like the Highway 300Di?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its will be a standalone piggy back system bud, integrated will break the bank big style.