ICE & HFT Digital Radio

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by dennismate, Thursday 12th Dec, 2013.

1. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    One of the beauties of the 8th Generation Accord over my last car (Ford Mondeo) is that because Sat Nav and Bluetooth are built in I don't have to have suction cups all over the windscreen and wires running all over the shop.

However, it looks like analogue radios days are numbered which means going back to ugly wires and suction cups again to mount the DAB receiver.

It's hard to believe you can buy a new top of the line Accord today and DAB isn't even offered as a cost option.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check out the Holdcroft section mate there is a better option.

3. sturgi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How many posts do you need to see the Holdcroft section?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. dennismate Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Epsom
    Could you post the link to the DAB Holdcroft solution please.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Go to Holdcroft Section and look for Forum Game - What have we fitted?

7. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've been looking at new head units and have found a couple at reasonable prices with DAB radio. However, looking through the internet there appears to be a lot of criticism of DAB and having checked the stations available there don't seem to be many available where I live and even fewer where I work, even though they are only 12 miles apart. So, is it worth buying a head unit with DAB or would I be be better buying one with FM and worrying about DAB in a few years?

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Personally I'd suggest waiting unless, like me, you're a big fan of a station that's only broadcast in digital (6 Music, in my case) and you can't do without. So I have a Pure DAB receiver suckered to the windscreen and dangly wires! But the coverage is quite patchy and often I find that operating the wipers (front or rear) generates enough interference to blank out reception.

UK DAB is actually quite a poor technical standard and I find reception is better on FM when listening to channels that are available as either DAB or FM.

Why DAB radio in the UK is broken, and how to fix it | TechRadar

SpeedyGee and Chunkylover53 like this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I use to have a USB DAB radio thing that I left plugged into the work PC. I mostly used it to listen to Test Match commentary a few Ashes series ago until some farkwaar came along and stole the damn USB DAB radio off the desk :Rant::Rant::Rant::Rant::Rant:

Anyway as @Zebster says DAB standard is pretty poor in the UK so not worth getting DAB unless you have a particular station you want to listen to.

10. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Another option is what I do. . Use your phone as the source and bluetooth it to the stereo.

11. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    when I called HH in May about a DAB radio for an 8th Generation they said no longer available and were pretty disinterested in sourcing one....

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    You're very lucky to get good enough 3G or 4G reception in your area to reliably receive internet radio when mobile. I could not do that around here!

13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We recently had a brand new Mini courtesy car that had DAB it would pick up KISS but sometimes when driving in built up areas it would cut in and out. Three seemed to be the best network for streaming radio when I tried it O2 round here is totally useless.

14. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I use the tune in app, , and give it a 60 second delay which normally covers any dips in signal.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

As beautiful as Shropshire is, it can be a real PITB to maintain a mobile signal. There a are a number of dead spots around you.

Zebster likes this.
  16. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    i use a pure highway, hhidden in the centre storage box - with a roof mounted magnetic ariel the reception is rock solid everywhere (mainly Derbyshire) where I travel, long after the phone signals have disappeared

Nels likes this.
  17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Any pictures so others can see this please?

18. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I mostly listen to Free Radio (sad I know), where I live it says reception fair and where I work it doesn't mention it. I think that I'll go back to looking at FM head units. Thanks for all the replies.

19. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    One thing I really hate about the autodab system is the aerial is stuck on the inside windscreen it looks massive and looks ugly with wiring running around it.

Its prone to damage if you cleaning the inside of your windscreen, they need to incorporate a better hidden aerial personally. That is why I haven't had these installed in my 8th Generation or my Jazz