Electrical & Lights Dipped and main beam

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by demon-knight, Tuesday 18th Sep, 2012.

1. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im after some help, earlier in the year I changed most of most of my lights for led's apart form the dipped and main beam, however as the dark nights are closing in im wanting to replace them with something better and less yellow to match the much whiter sidelights I have.

Any suggestions on brand and model, I don't want to go down the HID route if i can help it just yet though.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally have tried the aftermarket halogen route and none of them have the reliability of the standard bulb. I have had a failed MOT due to these bulbs.

Standard halogen are not great but they work forever, the only other option is HID I am afraid.

3. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    I would go for HID. But it will fail your MOT... Unless u'll dismount them before passing MOT :Wink:

4. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine passed in March without any advisories, complaints or warnings although it might just depend on how picky the MOT examiner might be

5. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So what kind of headlights u've got then? As far as I know, to fit HIDs legally there must be self leveling, headlight washers & projector type headlights. Correct me if I'm wrong...

6. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As far as I know they are just standard halogens, I would of gone down the HID route but you never know with the MOT coming up.

7. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Intruder is correct

Under EU law there must be washers and self leveling system fitted (that is not the manual leveling you have in the car) if these are not there it is not legal. On the accord you have projectors on dip but not on main. After market kits as found on ebay and the like are not legal for roade use as they do not offer the afore mentioned bits..

Up to you if your stopped by plod and they are in a bad mood !

You should not fail an MOT unless the beam pattern is way off which could happen if the HID bulbs are not fitted correctly or the lamps are not alined correctly.

I have not fitted these kits to my accord as I was pulled by plod in my old A6 for fitting one of these kits, I was issued with a producer and told to remove them which I did. I have checked with my old insurance provider as to where I stand with them and they said they would not insure with these kits. All may not say the same but Aviva state they are not legal as a road use modifcation and would invalidate my insurance.

I use Ring Ultima H1 bulbs and find them very good, much whiter than stock bulbs and I have had no problems with them blowing.

8. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know we only have 2 of the 3 requirements for fitting these HID kits but I went with it anyway and in the 3 or so years I have never had any problems. Having said that I am starting to think that now is the time to take them out and revert to original. I know I`ve been lucky and could be pulled over by plod at any time and depending on where I MOT my car it could be a fail. So as soon as I can I`ll be taking them out especially when you say that Aviva specifically won`t insure a car with them fitted, they are my insurers.

While I`m at it I think I`ll see about removing the remap

9. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes, I called Aviva as was cancelling my renewal with them anyway and asked the question. They said these kits do not comply on their own with EU law and so invalidate my insurance unless all criteria are met. To me it is not worth the risk but many do fit them and are never pulled up.
    To be honest a 4300k kit will not stand out like a 6000k and up kit would, yes they will be much brighter but then there are plenty of good quality legal H1 bulbs out there to choose from which will give better light.

As for your MAP just declair it and you will be fine - plenty of companies which will take modded cars these days.

10. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Think after reading about HIDs I will be getting some Ring Ultima H1, based on recommendations and reviews

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The HID kits are ok if you can be bothered making them legal which would be expensive either way (after market or OEM)
    If you don't worry about the possable consequences after market A.C. Kit would make you happy.

The replacement bulbs (normal) H1 are ok, ring are the best I have found so far. I found them better than Osram or Phillips but they were not to bad and all were much better than stock. Which ever you go for be very careful fitting as is very easy to touch the bulb glass which will make them blow prematurely. I did both dip and main but still not happy with the main beam as I find it set to low, no idea if they can be adjusted up but if they were they would be perfect .

Good luck pal let us know how you get on.

Oh ring bulbs much cheaper on ebay but make sure they are Ultima and the 120% ones.

12. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How hard is it to change dipped and main lights as I had a look and there isnt much room with the size of my hands, are easier ways to do it?

13. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I've replaced my sidelights last week. OMG! I was frustrated :Angry: I couldn't get my hand there to reach it. Well, I was touching the connectors by finger tips, but you need to twist the connector to release it from place. So after sticking my hand in those far corners, I finally found the best angle for my hand to grab connector & unplug it! :Happy: BTW, to make things easier, I realized it's possible to untack the windscreen washer bottle's neck.

Talking about dipped and main lights, I don't think there is any other way how to replace the bulbs. For dipped lights need to remove that round cover by turning it and then just unplug & unhook the bulb. And for main bulbs it's even easier I think, as I've seen there is no cover of any kind, just to unplug & unhook, I believe...

14. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is very difficult to change the dipped bulbs (I think so anyway). Like intruder said it makes it a bit easier to take out the neck of the washer bottle and on the near side I found it a lot easier if I took out the battery.

As for the sidelights they are a doddle, just go in through the wheel arch after removing a couple of clips and a screw. Its all in the manual

15. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The dip bulbs are a little bit of a pain but not bad, small hands help but with the washer bottle neck taken off it is not to bad other side is also a pain but just keep calm and don't rush and will be fine. Main beam are easy but the spring clip can be fiddly as very hard to see and done mostley by feel but better access than the dip beams. If you were local I would pop over and do them for you. Once you have done them it is only a ten min job to do again.. Ish :Smile:

16. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent tips on the washer bottle, am going to have a poke round tomorrow and probably do it next weekend if I get chance.

On another note I noticed that my one of the brake lights is getting cloudy, had a look earlier and it looks like some crud is building up inside, will try and get a pic up at some point, its not moisture as it was dry as a bone but it is sort of a brownish colour???

17. Bob Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I just changed my lowbeams this weekend.
    Yea it is a bit fiddly to get your hand in there, but doesn't take too long.

You could take the battery out to do the nearside, but if you can get your fingers to the retaining clip and the back of the bulb you should be ok.

The worse part for me was trying to put the weather cap back onto the drivers side. Even with the top of the washer bottle off i struggled to get the cap back into place.
    But all done now and looking much better.

I used Osram Nightbreaker H1 from ebay £13/pair and they look better than what was in there before!