Engine & Gearbox Dipstick on i-ctdi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by davemazo, Sunday 5th Feb, 2012.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bought one of these:-

IMAG0156.

to help drain any overfilling of oil which I tend to do regularly. I know it works but it doesn`t suck any oil up. Is there something preventing anything other than the dipstick going down the tube.

The plastic tube that is supplied with the pump is a snug fit down the dipstick tube. Would a narrower plastic pipe get past any obstruction.

Last edited: Sunday 5th Feb, 2012
  2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the pipe must be too thick.

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The dipstick tube must narrow then at the bottom as it goes in easily for about 18 inches

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    does it go down as long as the dipstick itelf? push the pipe down again and measure it against the dipstick. if so make sure the engine is red hot to allow for easyer suction being as the oil will be at its thinist. other than that, the problem must be with the suction or use of your drainer.

5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been out to measure it beefy and the dipstick when fully inserted goes in 20 inches. The plastic pipe hits something metallic and stops at 18 inches. So I`m guessing that the dipstick pipe narrows near the end

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its does slightly as the dipstick tube pushes into the sump. you may find it difficult to get hold of the right sort of pipe but try a good motor factor. one of the techs at HH has his own air compressor powered oil eveacuator and that pipe pushes down an I-CTDI's dipstick tube but the pipe is specific to that evacuator and quite expensive.

7. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks beefy I`ll see what i can come up with

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Beefy does the techy use it for oil changes or is it just a tool in the cupboard?

9. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    don't DO IT!

Those of you who remember me from previous forums will remember my thread "Rayhoop is a Plum"...

I tried using one of these on my I-CTDI back in 2008... My father in law insisted I borrow his oil extractor to make my life easier...

I pushed the pipe in... there was a little resistance, so I forced it through a bit further. It extracted a bunch of oil, but not as much as I expected.... When I pulled the pipe back out, to my horror I found the plastic pipe was cut clean by something down the end of the dip stick tube (have you ever wondered how the dip stick is turned to the correct position every time you put it back in?)...

A 6 inch section of plastic pipe was left in my sump... and it took 2 cold evenings (about 8? hours) of bashing my knuckles on cold metal under the car trying to drop/move the sump enough to fish it out! The sump does not come completely off without dropping the subframe and shifting the air/con pump out of the way (removing the ever so tight aux belt!), so it was a very difficult job!

I managed to get it out, and was glad I did... as some of the hardware related to the timing chain sits in the sump... and the pipe could have easily jammed itself in/got chewed up and caused havoc with the timing chain itself, or post-chew up debris could have blocked the oil pump pick up.

If you do want to use this device - at your own risk - use the thinnest plastic pipe possible (I had used a medium sized one which was a snug fit in the dip stick hole)... and if you feel it catching anywhere, do not force it in.

Best bet...

Get your car on some ramps/jack it up and just undo the sump plug! Takes 30mins longer to drain the oil, but just change your air filter/pollen filter, top up your screen wash etc whilst you wait for your sump to empty.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

+1 .

11. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes Rayhoop I remember it well and your problem was in the back of my mind when I was attempting this. Think I`ll take your advice. I haven`t done anything about it yet, I`m still driving around with a little bit too much oil in without any problems, hopefully.

12. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine has had a wee bit too much in it for a while as well.

Honestly, it's like an extra 250ml takes it from the top mark to halfway up the dipstick. :Whistle:
    (that's how much it took for me to go from what I thought was topping it off, to looking like it had been overfilled)

13. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Phew, I just don't want anyone to go through the same head ache I did if it can be avoided..

On the topic of overfilled oil, try to avoid hard driving as a precaution until you can drain some off... There are some shocking threads online about 'runaway diesel engines'...

14. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I hammer mine and the oil level has barely dropped (0W-30) in four months.
    It's still a good inch above the top mark.

15. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A good inch, wow that sounds a lot. Mines only about half a centimetre and I'm worried about that.

16. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    I´m using a "Big Pela - Oil Extractor" (6,5 Liters Volume) for my oil changes (i.ctdi - 2004).
    Never had any problems with the Pela (use it since 2009) - it works brilliant ... :Thumbup:

PELA - Oil Extractor from 17,90 € - SVB

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread cleaned up , don't worry about the triple posting,

bud when you are doing the next oil change with the oil extractor could you do a vedio please? I want to see this in action :Thumbup:

18. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    Yes please. I'd be keen see how you go about it and see where I was going wrong. Maybe wrong choice of tube, maybe I pushed it to far etc?

19. ACC-CDI-2T Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Cologne
    Thanks for cleaning up my triple post ! :Smile: - o.k. , I will try to make a video next time .....

2009 I made 2 photos of my first oil change with PELA (... just for info uploaded to a album-
    see "Oil change with Pela" ...)

p.s. I find out, PELA takes up even more oil than a conventional I-CTDI-oilchange does (I guess,
    the dipstick-tube of the I-CTDI points to a optimal and deep place in the oil sump, and PELA´s
    extraction tube is rigid enough not to entangle in the sump ...)

Best Regards :Wave:

20. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What I'm asking myself is...will the PELA remove any sludge, swarf etc. that settles right at the very bottom of the sump?