Pre-Purchase Discontinuation of Accord - what are people doing?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by noonand, Tuesday 19th Apr, 2016.

1. noonand Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Derek Ballysimon
    Hello,

First time post, so please be gentle! ;-)

I'm wondering what people are doing, bar a brief flirtation with Opel I've never driven anything but an Accord. Is there anyway of getting hands on a new (Gen 9) one. Are some people just keeping the Gen 8 and running it into the ground? Or are (shudder) people contemplating a move away to other marques?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Staying well clear of this one raw topic will get people spitting feathers.

For me there is no other option to chose "Honda for life".:gohonda::vtec::izy::quad:

John Dickson, FirstHonda and noonand like this.
  3. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I plan to drive my accord forever!

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    CR-Vs seem to be the only choice that those who want to stay with Honda are buying however a couple of people have bought the new 9th Generation Civic. Only way to get a 9th Generation Accord would be to import I think.

I would keep a close eye on 10th Generation Civic as being a global model it is going to be quite large and just like USA Civic sans boot.

Last edited: Tuesday 19th Apr, 2016
    FirstHonda likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The CR-V is a fine car, as is the Civic - but neither are an Accord if that is what you are after...

@John Dickson has a couple of opinions on this one! Just a couple...:Laughing:

John Dickson likes this.
  6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I went for a CR-V in the end but the Accord did look better on the drive but I'm more than happy with the change. I didn't care what make I went for but ended up back with a Honda.

7. noonand Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Derek Ballysimon
    The local Honda dealer tried to flog me a CR-V, but I'm a little uneasy about that. They have different handling characteristics entirely and in Ireland the CR-V only comes in a 1.6D with various trim levels.

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

9. noonand Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Derek Ballysimon
    Might give them a ring alright, the maths on it are below (all cars brought into ROI are subject to a tax called VRT). Added to that I'd have the conversion from GB£ to €
    £19,995 = €25,313.97
    €25,313.97 + €9,137 = €34,450.97
    2016-04-19_19-33-03.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s3
    XE: (GBP/EUR) British Pound to Euro Rate

One to think about, but it's quite an outlay and I'd have to have disposed of mine first privately. The thoughts of having to deal with all the wannabe boy racer tyre kickers makes me shudder
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also that Belfast one is auto, never driven one of those before. Is there much more by way of maintenance etc. with them?

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I haven't heard any auto box horror stories - I think they are pretty bombproof but @Ichiban will know for sure.

They are certainly a good drive - I had mine for 3 years and 40k miles and it was superb.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    BMW 330D Msport Xdrive as it offers power, handling, relative efficiency and good BIK values (although would be even better if they weren't so overpriced) and the leasing rates are hard to beat for the spec you get at £315 per month. 15k miles of mainly urban driving and nothing gone wrong at all so reliability hasn't been an issue.

Got two years left on the lease for Honda to revive the Accord and with both fingers crossed a nice powerful engine also! :Smile:

Drove a brand new CR-V 1.6 low pressure diesel recently and it's a very nice drive and still felt quite pokey for the power output. A nice family car with plenty of space but I'd miss the performance of the BMW.

If nothing new and suitable comes out from Honda in two years time I'll probably end up in another 330D or maybe a 340 petrol but a tourer this time to cater for the bigger family. I'd rather be back in Honda though as the BMW is not very spacious inside considering the external dimensions. Stupid big bonnet.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup bombproof they can do million miles easily just change the oil every year , the early I-DTEC diesel Auto boxes had issues it could not handle the torque but they were soon fixed.

Racy Jace likes this.
  13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think I've upset enough people so I should probably keep quiet now..... :Whistle:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HK moto is never mince your words say it as it is. If you are off a nervous disposition... well piss off. Simples

15. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My last 2 cars have been Accords (o3 and 08, both petrol), first Japanese cars I've ever owned and I've loved them both. This one should be good for a couple more years, then I may try to get a late model 8th Generation. Failing that, I quite like the CR-V and even the Civic. Perhaps I'll go back to Alfa, I had a 156 a few years ago, the only car I've owned where I switched the radio off in the morning on the way to work, so that I could listen to the engine. My wife reckoned it would take hours to get the smile off my face after a night drive, She always managed it though.

16. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    To date it's been three Accord's, one Civic since mid 80's. If a later Accord comes up at the right price I'll grab that, but may be a CR-V and its a big maybe.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    We've had a fair few Hondas in the family also, three Accords, three Civics and a CR-V.

18. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't dislike the CR-V, but it isn't an Accord, I looked at a couple before I bought my Accord but they were more expensive and I suspect that they neither handle nor perform as well.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    For an SUV they handle almost like a regular car and with a cheeky remap the diesel acts more like a petrol. But agree it's no Accord and whilst the seats are very comfy nothing has matched the Accord's yet.

20. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Damn Honda, may the fleas of a thousand camels infest their........................................armpits.