General Discount on used Accords

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SteveT, Monday 19th Nov, 2012.

1. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    Hi all

Recieved this letter today from my local dealer, quote,

In conjunction with the manufacturer, we are pleased to announce an unprecedented discount throughout the Accord range of cars. As an Accord owner we just had to communicate this message to you,

£4500 DISCOUNT ON ALL Accords IN UK STOCK end quote.

Anyone else had one, any thoughts,

Steve

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could you post a copy of the letter with blanking off your private details please.

Its one way of clearing the stock of Accords before its withdrawn in January :Aghast:.

3. SteveT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Steve West Midlands
    I had suspicious feelings about this , is it a country wide sale or just this dealer, i had the same thoughts as you . CJ where would you like the copy sending to?
    - - - Updated - - -
    more than happy to post up on here if is not contravening any site rules:Smile:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah it in the interest if one dealer has bought or cornered the UK Accord stock then its good value for customers.

Additionally it add to the history to the current Accords state of affairs.

5. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I hope we don't get cancelled next year, we should organise a road block outside Honda HQ in Slough to protest....

Accord has only been out for 4 years for **** sake....

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am up for it.

7. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I hope the Accord doesn't get cancelled here! It's a brilliant car and a real shame HUK don't push it anymore like they do with the Civic, CR-V, etc. really don't know what I'd have if I couldn't get another Accord :Frown:

8. jrd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll second that.

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I love my Accord too, but sorry guys, reality check time, Honda is a business and it won't go on LOSING money selling Accords.

If they are currently losing £8k per Accord, how many of you would pay an extra £8k on current UK prices for a new one?

As for the £4.5k discount, that will still mean the 2.4 is £23k, no ta, I'd rather pay £10k for a 3 year old one.

10. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The real answer is to build the Accord in Europe, or at Swindon again. Why don't they have another factory in Europe?

I can understand pushing Swindon products, it is about UK jobs which I would like to support. Its just they are pushing people who need more space into the CR-V, which is an SUV, which is too big for me, and I don't like the SUV image.

We'll all be driving SUVs like in the USA.

I think they have accepted they cannot compete against BMW, Mercedes and Audi in europe in the Accord size segment.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree with the fact Honda is not running a charity its a business which cannot survive in this tough market conditions without making hard decisions. However Honda is not the only manufacturer who has to deal with the ever rising yen and they have viewed all avenues of cutting dependancies to Japan.Look at Lexus their entire range is made in Japan they are not taking drastic steps to shut the entire operation down, nor are Subaru. If they were losing money to that level on their models they need to shut shop but are they .. Are they telling their customer don't buy it ..but buy this which is made in the UK ? NO

if you go to Subaru's UKs website they have offers on the outback that's more than what we get on the new Accords. Honda UK exports 60 % of it produce isn't the exchange rate working in Hondas favour surely you can offset it . Offsetting is breaking even and not making a profit and that the bottom line and Honda is out to get its coffers full . Honda UK does want its balance sheet dragged by Japanese made cars so why don't we just get rid of the cancer and use the excuse we lose money.

Does Honda UK not lose money on all hybrids ? Do they not lose money on all spare parts made in Japan ...Yes they do so how come that not been stopped then ?

Honda should be ashamed of making a mockery of the Accord.

John Dickson likes this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda in Europe wants the accord dead at any cost, for people who don't want the SUV look the wagon will fill the space for a family car.
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/2368/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I still think it's too early to draw any conclusions about all of this.

But I agree with the posters who have said Honda should not assume that all of its up to now lifelong UK customers will remain Honda customers if it blows a hole this size in its UK range.

They will have considered all this though...out of over 50k Hondas sold per year only 3k or so are Accords...and not all those 3k would desert Honda...so not a biggie in the great scheme of things.

I agree it is shoddy though CJ and hope they make alternative arrangements for us in this market segment.

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I still think its a lousy decision for customers, but no business will allow such a loss.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let put this into a graphical representation. This is what the current line up looks like

Honda line currently 2012 December....JPG

So for argument sake Honda is making a loss of between 3000-8000 pounds for the Japanese models and Honda decided to cease all Japanese models for sale in Europe due to the strong yen and bottom line profits.

This is what the line up will look like

Honda line currently 2012 December...Japanese models dropped.

We know is 2015 we will get two new models Civic Type-R and Civic Wagon,so this was to happen between now and 2015 you telling me Honda will be a three car showroom.:Rant:

That will drive customers away for life.!!!

John Dickson likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Come on Honda UK you still have the 3rd Generation CR-V on the slideshow.. you have released the 4th Generation strange you are still promoting the 3rd Generation ?