ICE & HFT Disk reading error

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by CJH, Wednesday 27th May, 2015.

1. CJH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Colin London
    I have a CR-V which I bought new in Sept of 2005 and have been very happy with.
    For a while now I have had the disk reading error message on my sat nav.
    I took it apart to see if the lens needed cleaning and found that a ribbon of wires was shorting against the case.
    Please see pics attached.
    This is obviously a design fault.
    Could anyone tell me please if I would have joy taking it up with Honda, or where I might get a replacement ribbon wire from?
    Many thanks,
    Colin. DSCF6235.JPG DSCF6242-2.
  2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I highly doubt Honda would honour a warranty claim on something that is 10 years old.

Your best bet would be to send the unit to Alpine - they should refurbish the whole unit for around £200, otherwise you can ask them to just change the ribbon and see what they quote.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Found this service on ebay
    CJH likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

A fair few other members have opened these unit up but no one else has mentioned spotting this particular issue.
    CJH likes this.
  4. CJH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Colin London
    Re her being 10 years old. Yes, I would have been surprised.
    May I can buy a ribbon from Alpine and fit it myself. I enquire and post how I get on. Thanks for the feedback.
  5. How about finding a scrap one on ebay being sold for spares - might be your cheapest option
    CJH likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Never seen a ribbon like that before. I think the scrap yard or used units from ebay etc are worth a go, but you never know, Alpine may sell you the cable?
  7. CJH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Colin London
    I replaced the ribbon cable, shown above that had shorted against the case, with the one pictured.
    A very helpful guy named Sami I found on ebay sold me the replacement ribbon, told me it looked different because the type I had was superceded. Something to do with the old type being prone to shorting. :Smile:
    Works fine.
    Sami can be found on ebay:

Or text him on 07453288830.
    Very helpful guy.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 7th Jun, 2015