General Displaying your smartphone screen on the dash display

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Big H, Sunday 18th Oct, 2015.

1. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    If you want to mirror your smartphone display on the dash display, you need a converter to connect the phone's micro USB to the car's HDMI input.
    Looking around, some of these converters sell for about £30, however I bought one of these for less than £6 and it does the job just fine:

Just remember, you also need a seperate USB to micro USB lead to power the converter.

You may be asking yourselves, why bother?
    My intention was to run an app I have on the phone called MAPS.ME and to follow my progress along an uploaded route on screen, but the system won't allow the HDMI to be active if the engine's running, which kind of scuppered my plan. Never mind. I can still check my location when I make a stop, which is more than I can do easily with the satnav.

RogerH69 likes this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you can work out what the system uses to determine that the car is moving, you could install an override switch.

My guess is that it uses a VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal), if you found out what wire that is, an interrupt switch could be installing on this wire.

3. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm. Got that wrong. Sorry.
    The fly lead on the converter plugs into the phone, but in addition to a USB to micro USB lead to power the converter, you'd need a short HDMI to HDMI cable to link the converter to the car HDMI socket.

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Some phones need a SlimPort adaptor, and not MHL.

5. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    just an addition.
    most phones now come with casting screen option (wireless display) from android 4.2.2 onwards to connect to a hdmi wifi miracast adapter no wires needed between phone and adapter. I only use this technology to project my tablet screen to my projector while watching movies from kodi/xbmc app.

Also useful for gaming where a big screen will be always an advantage.

Last edited: Monday 19th Oct, 2015