General Distance to empty

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Sunday 17th Jan, 2016.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Distance to empty was shown as 14miles when I pulled into garage to fill up. Tank took just short of 50 litres of diesel to fill. Yet handbook States tank capacity of 58 litres? Car has never taken 50 litres or more to fill. It has the filler cap incorporated in the flap and (I think) the mis-fuel prevention setup and I would think DTE display is a conservative figure. All that given, it still seems a big discrepancy. What's others experience here?

2. earthsciencer1 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Bob Wetherby
    My current Accord's range indicator seems pretty accurate. The lowest figure I got to was 10 miles but when I filled up it took almost 63 litres so with a tank capacity of 65 litres that was pretty good, I think, allowing for a little bit of a safeguard margin.

My previous Tourer (61 Reg) had a quirk though in that it went down to 15 miles range mile by mile then went straight to zero. Fortunately I have never run out of fuel and have driven a number of Hondas at work where I have had to travel quite a fair distance to the nearest filling station with the range showing zero.

3. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Apart from allowing for production /wear tolerances on the actual measurement mechanism the fuel gauge and the distance to empty readings both have to deal with the problems of fuel moving around the tank during cornering and going up hills etc.

While tank design can help with both issues they have to be conservative and provide an indication that will be useful to non-technical operators i.e. "distance you can 99% certainly go" rather than "distance to engine stopping when stationary on a flat surface but watch out if you need to drive up a windy mountain road!" I've seen on my vehicles there are 2 -5 litres not accounted for using the displayed information.

4. pscolling Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've driven 30+ miles in my 2013 CR-V with the distance range showing 0! I wouldn't make a habit of it, but it is definitely quite conservative in its estimation.

5. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Same with the FR-V, I estimate there are a couple of gallons sloshing around in the tank when the light comes on. I don't take much notice of the range reading which winds the copilot up no end! She thinks it will splutter to a stop if the light is on (luckily it never has) :Whistle:

6. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I try never getting below 50/60. Not that I am fearful of ending up outta gas in the middle of nowhere - more to do with the risk of the fuel pump hoisting any gunk into the engine when the fuel supply is low.

Just isnt worth the risk. Perhaps on a Corsa I would do it (since the car is worthless), but definitely not on a car like this. Seems a bit....daft.

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    A valid point TDK, but the downside is that you are always lugging a heavy weight about. I usually fill up at between 1/2 and 1/4 so the financial shock is limited, but like to occasionally go deeper into the tank so this eco muck they put in the diesel dos'nt go off.
    I shall probably keep the new(er) CR-V off supermarket fuel so will not have to do it.
    I look forward to CJ's reports on running his weasel on chipfat!

Pete C.

8. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Andy
    I normally refill when the distance to empty shows about 150km. I've never been able to put in more than 45 litres. But it's better for them to be conservative than have me run out on the motorway in a blizzard.

FR-V likes this.
  9. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    What's a fuel gauge ? I thought we all used wooden sticks !

10. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    One thing I find annoying on the CR-V is that (as mine is at the moment) when the low petrol fuel pump sign appears, it blanks out all the other info on the centre dial. On all the other cars I've had the low fuel warning merely gives the indication in addition to all the normal info. I found that much more helpful than completely taking over the display.

Keith

11. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike, I too err on the safe side when in mainland Europe. You're not sure where the next decent place to stop will be.

Keith, had both the ICE warning and low fuel warning going off this week, a bit of a pain and a distraction when driving.

12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Keith, if you pull the bottom trigger of the three on the rhs of the steering wheel it will revert to your normal info settings.

13. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Andy
    I checked with the doorstop, I mean manual. The petrol pump symbol should come on when there are 8.6 litres left in the tank, so your 50 litres would have been about right if you pulled in as soon as you saw the light come on. I have to admit I daren't let it get that far, especially as there are few Esso stations to choose from around here. And I daren't run on the kind of normal sludge you get from AGIP ET al.

Lisbon and SpeedyGee like this.
  14. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi, on previous motors ( X3, ML, XC60) the remaining mileage would go down with the attitude of the car ie. uphill/downhill and cornering, and wouldn't increase when levelled, only by switching ignition Off/On did the remaining miles reset.

15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for that RON, I'll do that when I go out shortly (to fill up).

Keith

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :Grin:

17. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    All these gadgets sound wonderful but are they really just a sales gimmick ? There's nothing wrong in my humble opinion of the good old white needle that slowly creeps down towards a large red for empty marker. On my old herald and p6 they both had reserve tanks which is a good idea.
    Unless of a technical issue or world war three there's NEVER an excuse to run out of fuel.
    In theory you should never let fuel levels fall below half a tank, I can't imagine how much rust and crap lives at the bottom of mine after nearly twenty years !
    Yes I know I'm carrying a small child around but without any other clutter in bump I'll put up with the few yards per mile drop in economy ( what economy ) lol

FR-V likes this.
  18. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Economists advise not to drive around with excess fuel, as your using more MPG to actually carry it around.

19. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Yes I realise that I wrote it on the thread, do you notice a drop in MPG if you carry a five year old child around? I would doubt it, rather that than running out ( what if there's a strike or power cut) or rebuilding fuel injection system lol.

20. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi don't get me wrong, I usually run about with plenty of fuel, especially holiday periods. Just in case I have to dive off somewhere quickly.