Guides DIY 6th Generation Rear Brake Howto

Accord 98-02 VTEC, F18B2

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Added to the Guides & DIY section, click on the "Guide" tab above to view.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 20th Apr, 2014
    Malibu likes this.
  2. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Superb thanks Andy.:GoodJob:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Andy did you change those disc look well past it bud.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

No CJ, they still got through the MOT in Jan there (that DIY was done in Sept 2013 apprx) with an advisory lipped and scored I think it was. They have been on the car since Feb 2008 and have covered around 30,000mile - pads done the same time. My first set of rear discs lasted almost the same length of time & miles so they are on my to-do list this year.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is from personal experience I have now started to change the rear disc and pads as a set , as you can see from the images the outer and inner circumferences have rust curd. New pads will be perfectly flat and these rust ridges will cut into the pad limiting the contact surface.

In essence you are ruining a good set of pads of on disc where the contact surface is greatly reduced.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yeah...I bought the pads about 2-3yrs ago, those new ones in the pic (in the old caliper) are still unused in the box as we speak.

Based on the previous rear replacements, as you say I never really got full use of the pad replacements then I was requiring the discs (and more new pads). So this time I decided to wait and see how long the pads would hold out and just do them as a disc and pad set change. I guess 6-7 yrs life (OEM) isn't too bad.

EDIT
    So it is probably good practice and more cost effective to change the whole rear setup as one as you will lose braking efficiently and the discs might only be useful for a couple of years/ 1000's of miles before the existing disc will need replacement when you have relatively new pads alongside them.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its very good life bud, If we had the all round climate of Spain then those discs won't be as rusted as we do here in Blighty. My 7th Generation Tourer the rear discs have the same issue they are original from 2007 they need a change soon.

on the 8th Generation I won't even bother I will replace them as a set. My advise if you want to reuse the older disc get the resurfaced at a local lathe shop get the surface area perfect.

8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'll be going for new discs :Wink:. Actually just for info, that offside rear was the one that got slightly cooked (enough to boil water off its surface) with that siezed caliper also in this guide, so its had a hard life you might say lol.

I just budget for the price of parts/tools per annum. So if £80 lasts me 8yrs, then a tenner per annum is a very low cost for peace of mind.

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What grease/lube would you recommend for the brakes and is there a source to buy from, say a tub or tube rather than a small packet quantity as I do my brakes every year?

I know rubber and copper is a bit last century so anything better would be good to have on the guide.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Molykote M77 or Super pad grease from Honda , and Pure silicone grease or Bosch Superfit for the sliders.. This is a good thread to refresh your info on this subject General - Brake caliper slider pins • Honda Karma

Nels and AndyB1976 like this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Excellent write-up @AndyB1976, added to the guides section. Just add guides through there in the future bud, it'll automatically generate the thread and do the rest :Smile:

12. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers @DeviateDefiant - I done some other howto's during the AOC days but I think a forum bug/DB issue broke some links and lost images. Will I just recreate a new guide(s) rather than edit (even if that's possible now) the originals.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yeah go for it mate, add them using "Add Resource" in the Guides/DIY section then I can attach them to the original thread so nothing is lost :Smile:

AndyB1976 likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    bump for anyone looking for the 6th Generation brake DIY.