Aftermarket Kit DIY dash removal to get at my Double DIN radio.

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by colinbos, Friday 16th Aug, 2013.

1. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

My steering wheel controls are not working and I suspected either a loose wire, or the interface between the stalk and the radio to be faulty. If it is the interface then ill drop it to the local car audio people, but before that I thought id better check the loose wire theory.

I looked at previous posts and got some confidence to have a go at removing the dash etc. There isn't a lot on the internet regarding pictures of the FR-V dash removal so heres my attempt. I hope it helps some. It will probably confuse more than it helps though !

The first step was to see what were dealing with.

I have an after market Kenwood DNX5200BT head unit that is a sat nab, hands free phone kit, bluetooth, iPod connector, DVD player and CD player with Stereo. It pretty much does everything except get TV channels!

heres a look at the dash before I started.
    DSCF1426.

The first thing i tried to do was remove the small cubby hole and get to some screws to remove the dash etc.

I gave a pull on the cubby hole and the whole front silver facia came off ! no damage to it either now or previously. I must be straonger than I thought !

DSCF1427.

The facia was attached with heated seat wiring and the heater display connections.

The heater display connections are a bit tight to get at and remove so i decided to remove the whole display for easy access. As shown in the next couple of pictures.

DSCF1428.

DSCF1432.

The display connectors are awkward to remove with the display attached to the facia so after the facia is removed by unscrewing the 4 screws above you can see the white connectors below that need to come off

DSCF1434.

DSCF1435.

To remove the heater display out of the way and save it dangling carefully press the white tabs in and remove with a small screw driver as a lever, carefully.

DSCF1436. DSCF1437.

I needed to look up behind the radio so probably went a little further than i needed to to remove the DIN frame so the next few pictures are panel removal pics from behind the facia and underneath the din frame.

DSCF1438. DSCF1441. DSCF1442. DSCF1443.

The bottom panel underneath the gearstick and above handbrake is next to come off.

DSCF1444. DSCF1445. DSCF1446.

I also removed the cup holder and frame to give me a better look underneath and all around the radio. All a bit further to I needed to go it turned out, but good to know how its done.

DSCF1449. DSCF1440. DSCF1456.

So, top two screws, one on the bottom left underneath the dash and two right up behind the dash is all it takes to get the cup holder loose. A little twisting and sliding around wiring and it slips out.

So now I've got alot of access to the back of the radio and Im expecting the frame to be screwed in at the rear. It wasn't. So i expected it to be screwed in from the side of the radio itself and would have to remove the surrounding frame first.

I removed the bottom bolts that hold the din frame in to see if it gave me any leverage etc.

DSCF1439. DSCF1461.

I couldn't see how and where the top of the radio was secured with the din frame. I used a trim removal tool to lever the trim away carefully around the top and began to pull the bottom frame towards me. It began to move. So i gave some small forceful tugs and could see the clips holding the trim piece surrounding the radio. I gave a couple of decent tugs and the WHOLE frame including radio came out. The next pics show the locations of the clips and corresponding holes they go into.

DSCF1457. DSCF1458. DSCF1459. DSCF1460.

Now, I didnt find any loose wires that would cause the steering wheel controls to malfunction. I pushed, pulled and squeezed all the wires and it made no difference at all to the function of the controls. So it has to be the interface (black box) between the radio and the steering wheel controls. I dropped it off at the auto elecs and he was surprised to see a Kenwood interface being used instead of an Autoleads one. He said the Autoleads ones are more reliable and would replace it. Thats more than I want to get involved with to be honest, the system is expensive and I just know id blow fues and displays etc etc.

I reckon I got off lucky by getting this far removing the dash without damaging anything !

I hope I can remember how to put it all back when the car's back !!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 16th Aug, 2013
    Princepugh, Nels, garf8v and 2 others like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice right up Colin :Thumbup:

Where does the last picture go ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Colin superb work buddy, looks like a really good mod for the FR-V!

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its in the Holdcroft section bud.. you may need a few more post to get there.

5. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Speedy Gee

I don't know how that last picture got there. I couldn't see how to delete it either!

The follow up is the interface had packed up taking between the head unit and the steering wheel controls. It was a Kenwood interface and apparently their reliability is suspect, so I had an Autoleads one fitted at the local Audio fitters whilst I was away this weekend. All is fine again.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @colinbos do you mind if I convert this thread into a proper Guide and place in the FR-V Guides section ?

It will make it easier to locate in there.

7. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Smashing job @colinbos. :GoodJob:
    Thank you for sharing. True HK spirit.:Hey:

9. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    @colinbos

Thanks for the guide. . Really helped me out yesterday. .
    Can I ask what iso harness you used to get the steering wheels control...
    I have found plenty available for Civic, CR-V etc but nothing for the FR-V.

Auto Ali likes this.
  10. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

The ISO Harness is not for steering wheel controls. The ISO harness connects stereo to car's wiring loom.

For steering wheel controls, you need a stalk adaptor specific to your car PLUS a plug specific to the stereo.

Auto Ali likes this.
  11. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    this is the bit im struggling to find .

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

I tried to find what you need, but couldn't find anything. the closest I can was this, but that's for a March, 2007 onwards FR-V.

13. Auto Ali Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ali London
  14. rammy121 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom rammy london
    hello All,

i'm not sure if this thread is still monitored/actie etc. u here we go....where do i start..at the beginning... so i bought an FR-V...really happy. i saw it has the aux button on the dashboard and did my research...yes, need to remove the stereo, plug in the cd multiplayer emulator thingy etc. and be on the road. i read this thread and others in honda karma, all of which are extremely useful. i tried to pull out the centre cubby hole..nothing happened. ok so let me take it to honda, see what they cn do. when i got there, i thought let me try one more time...hey presto, the whole thing came out, as per colin's description. hmm...do i go ahead with honda or try diy? I went in and they gave me a quote with the cavaet...they'd never done this before on a FR-V (i'm on holiday in lithuania.normally live the hague but am from london). anyway...i thought get the quote, they can't do it for two weeks anyway. i got back home and started to pull it apart as per the instructions...two steps forward, one step back. i then realised, not all in my FR-V was the same as in Colin's and others. for intstance the cupholder's two bolts holding it on the top..mine has a rubber lugg there as well, in the middle. colin's has the place for it though. then, the key part...the two din bolts on the bottom holing it to the stereo's din frame, colin's is easy to get to, mine has somekind of handle thing stopping me getting to the two bolts. at this point, i dropped a 7mm ratchet piece when trying to get at the right hand screw from the right hand side. ok...so next stage...take out the cpholders...to try and rescue the ratchet piece directly underneath the bolt, that fell into the cupholder area etc...and maybe i might be able to get to the two bolts from underneath. well...after a while of pulling and tugging and getting to all of the screws, i loosened the cupholder unit. one snag...when i look at it from below, looking up, where the bottom left hand screw is, the unit has a piece of metal that sits in the air vent in the floor well. i hope you can understand what i mean, using the picture. does anybody if any if this all seems right? mine if a 2litre 2005 (?) U.K. model, the one with the wood "effect" dash board. i susect everybody else's is a later model. does anybody know how to remove the centre floor vent? i'd still like to get the 7mm piece of metal out of there...it's a niggly thing that's going to be sitting in the back of my mind as long as i have the car...hopefully for a few years. i also had look from underneath...yes, it appears that when the cup holder unit is removed...i can get to the two screws that hold the din frame together. many thanks everybody...hopefuly someone out there can help.

IMAG2287. IMAG2290.
    IMAG2291. IMAG2293.
    - - - Updated - - -
    ooops...wrong photos...got distracted....life and strife jabbering on. . . . IMAG2287_01.
    IMAG2290_01. IMAG2291_01. IMAG2293_01.

Bones126 and RogerH69 like this.
  15. carisma driver New Member Getting Started

hi there
    colinbos this is carisma driver your probably the nearest in terms of getting info about FR-V dash removal but could you tell me if your music system was the one i i see in the pictures when the vehicle came from the show room or is it one you have managed to put in your self