Guides DIY Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Plate clean

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Saturday 30th Jun, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 1st Mar, 2014
    Chan and SayamaAccord like this.
  2. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Plate clean

Great guide mate! I'm going to do mine just in case and won't hurt giving it a clean.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

It well worth it you can hear the engine breathing better and a snappy throttle response.

4. Tom163 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds good! something I never thought of servicing either.

Cheers

5. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lovely article, CJ. Any chance of seeing the HDS in action. Is this a sophisticated diagnostic laptop or something? Nice photos by the way.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Cheers Paul the pictures were taken with my iphone :Wink: with a massive lens.HDS stands for Honda Diagnostic Software it can be run on a custom made touch screen tablet or by a HIM stands for Honda Interface Module.

I have the original HIM and not the cheapo Chinese clones, your dealer in Australia will now have the latest fourth generation diagnostic interface MVCI. The dealers in the UK have started to use this and I have to admit they are really good but the cost for me to own is way too prohibitive. One of these days I will get the courage to shell out the figure if the price is right.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would love to mate but I don't want to teach scam artists (in the West Yorkshire area) who have equipped themselves with the cheap Chinese clones. I wanted to do the extensive threads on this subject but refuse to hand my information to them on a wide open forum.

For them to make money on someone generosity is a big no no in my eyes. if you get a HDS well my services are at your disposal :Wink:.

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Will your HDS do your new car CJ?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it will work on the 8th Generation Accord . It won't do the new 9th Generation Civic. That is OBD 3.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just went through this. Surprisingly the Throttle Body was really clean, the EGR Plate wasn't too bad, but oddly one side was a lot worse than the other. part for the 2 cylinders closer to the drivers side had a lot worse build-up than the others.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange that the plate function to disperse the exhaust gases evenly, accumulation of carbon to onside could indicate there is leak on the plate, what was it like when you removed it.

Was there any sweating around the plate? which could indicate a gasket leak.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It was a bit sweaty on the parts of the plate exposed, but nothing to the best of my knowledge where it wouldn't be expected.

I wasn't able to do the idle learn process, but after first crank it idled high at 1500-1600rpm for a minute or so before dropping back to around the 850rpm it normally does. After the engine warmed, I took her for a drive and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Cleaner response overall by a small margin.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get a picture of the plate and it surrounding bud you may want to change the gasket if it was leaking\sweating.

idle learn can take some time sometimes leaving it idling for 15-20 minutes will resolve it.