Guides DIY: Power Steering Fluid Flush

Accord 03-08

1. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This guide has been integrated into our new Guides & DIY section, please click onto the main guide tab to view.

dinoc, Louey and AccordCU2 like this.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent guide. Never looked at mine but might give it a change.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Superb guide,thanks a lot for doing it.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Superb DIY Jayok, fantastic contendor for this months DIY guide of the month award :Wink:

5. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    Eish my power steering pump has started making a loud whining, humming noise today and i could smell some burning oil in the hood but checked everything for leaks can't see any leaks. Fluid is there in the reservoir. any ideas?? ooh again if you hold the pump its kind like vibrating a lot also when the engine is on. is the pump dead or on its way to cease? There are no obvious symptoms of hardness on the steering wheel, just the noise.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could be a failed pump but before you conclude that, check your aux belt tensioner for play. Make sure your aux belt is in good nick.

Look into the power steering fluid reservoir and see what colour the fluid is.

Is there any frothing or foaming visible ?

I would also try flushing out the power steering fluid with new fluid.

Don't use this guide !!!

Have a look at this post in my Project Log.

7. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    ok thanx will try that over the weekend .just hope its not the powersteering pump thats not failing

8. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    Yes checked the fluid has some foams and frothing when the engine is on. Does it mean its the pump

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Flush the fluid out first. It maybe the air in the fluid is causing the noise. Mine was very noisy before I changed the fluid. It's perfectly quiet now.

Once again, a reminder to use my method as this avoids any risk of the pump running dry. If the pump runs dry (for any length of time) you risk causing damage to power steering rack and the pump.

Hence my method being the safer way of doing the flush.

Alternatively you may have a minor leak with is allowing air into the system. If the new replacement fluid also starts to froth and foam you know this is the issue.

10. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    Horror now it seems its something beyond power steering pump, now the car is worse its struggling to start, maybe something to do with the belt or pulley or the belt is tight. Need to get the belt and tensioner checked but the funny thing is how can the belt be tight on its own

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could be a tensioner issue. Get it checked out @simbac

12. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    i made an appointment with a mechanic so that he can check it but meanwhile i decided to do the DIY for powersteering to see if i can get some results. there seem to be a change and the pump is a bit quieter now on idling but when you accelerate i can hear a loud whistling sound as if my car has a turbo,. it has moved from humming to whistling now but im not sure if the sound is coming from the pump or alternator

13. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    after researching im inclined to think that its the alternator failing

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could be the bearings on the alternator yes, if they start to heat up the alternator won't function correctly, hence the starting issue.