Service & Maintenance Do I Need to Check Valve Clearances?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Friday 20th May, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My 2006 2.0 petrol Accord had the valve clearances inspected /adjusted at 20200 miles in 2009 and at 41400 miles in 2012. I've no idea whether anything was ever adjusted by the dealer and I've never heard any ticking noise indicating an incorrect valve clearance.

The service book says to inspect the valve clearances every 25000 miles so another inspection is now due at 66000 miles. My local Honda dealer want the nice round figure of £100 to inspect the valve clearances. I have no odd noises indicating an out of adjustment valve and the car still drives like new with good economy (38 MPG on local journeys and 44 MPG on a long distance motorway trip).

I've seen some reports on this forum that the valves on this engine don't usually need adjustment and that the valve inspection interval has been extended to 50000 miles. I'm inclined not to bother with the valve inspection and save my £100 since the car is running so well. What do members think?

2. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    If your mildly mechanically minded and have a free Saturday afternoon its not too bad of a job to check them.

Not being a mechanic please take my thoughts as just my two cents, personally I would leave it till 50k miles have passed and see if you can find an independent mechanic that might do it for a bit less if you don't want to tackle the job yourself. The problem is not that they loosen so much to be noisy but the exhaust tighten and make very little noise as they burn in the head. A problem with the older b/d series engines but doesn't seem to be as much of an issue with the K series.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I personally think valve clearance on engines on good oil changes won't need valve clearance to be checked till 80k miles. Yes the 7th Generation valve clearance is set at 25k but its set too low.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can tell if a K series engine needs valve clearances if the top end if "tickety". If it's quiet then there's no need to check valve clearances.

kokkss likes this.
  5. kokkss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Latvia Andis Liepaja
    @SpeedyGee does that mean that it can not harm engine in any way, no ticking noise no need for clearance check?

Sent from my m2 note using Tapatalk

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There's no harm but as @Ichiban says they should be done around the 75K miles interval.