General Do you find it unusual seeing other Accord owners on the road?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DeviateDefiant, Tuesday 9th Apr, 2013.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    So I did a long trip up the M6 again yesterday, got caught in some heavy traffic, ended up being a lot longer than expected. I did however bump into 4-5 Accords along the way.

It's no secret that Accords aren't the most popular cars on the road, they tend to get lost in amongst the drones of Audi/BMW drivers. Infact, I've only once come across an 8th Generation in my travels. Do you find it unusual coming across other Accord owners out and about?

Genuinely curious, with the member figures here on the AOC - I'm sure out of the 30-40 Accords I've seen over the past 2 months of owning mine, I must've bumped into one or two of you :Rolf:

Side note: The ratio of "spirited drivers" to more sensible ones seems to be quite high amongst us Accord owners :Whistle:

RichT and Ichiban like this.
  2. AccordEZJ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I notice a Accord atleast a few times a day but then again, once you have a certain car you always tend to see them!!

However take a trip to stoke, all you will see is Accords & most of them used as taxis!

3. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know what you mean. Until I got my own CR-V I didn't tend to notice them much and even now I don't see that many. However, a while ago I was driving my 4th generation CR-V through the roadworks on the south side of the M25. I was in lane 1 when I noticed a few cars ahead in lane 2 there was a 2nd generation CR-V. A few seconds later a 3rd generation trickled past me, also in lane 2, followed by a 1st generation CR-V going a bit faster in lane 3. Pretty neat - all four generations driving fairly closely together for several miles :Smile:.

Then we got to the end of the roadworks, the 2nd Generation turned off onto the A21, the rest of us continued on the M26. I overtook the 3rd Generation and the 1st Generation took off like a scalded cat!

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I drove from Westminster to Perth, only saw FOUR 8th Generation Accords, three of those were Tourers.

The 8th Generation is a definite rarity and certainly adds to exclusivity - people double-take and have to look twice to see/check what it is because their eyes are so accustomed to seeing the poverty-spec repmobiles that Audi/BMW/Merc now provide to dimwitted salesmen selling Avon products up and down the UK....

:Rolf:

FirstHonda, Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  5. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I got my 8th Generation Accord it definitely turned heads as people tried to work out what it was ..... beginning to see more 8th Generation Accords on my travels across the UK, but I see far more 6th and 7th Generation machines.

Interestingly, before I had a 2005 Diesel CR-V I did not really notice CR-V owners but when I purchased one (under pressure from the wife) I noticed them all over the place (sad to have sold it, especially when the Snow came and the fat tyres on the Accord did not provide such a secure drive)

Ichiban likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I spotted a lady pull up in her 8th Generation grey Accord at a Tescos petrol station. Whilst I was having a gawk (at the car of course), she managed to really badly scrape her front right alloy wheel on the raised platform that the pumps sit on. I think the car must have been quite new to her as she had also parked on the wrong side of the pump !

The 8th gens are definitely a rare breed, especially in 2.4litre form of which apparently there are only 20 in the country.

Ichiban and Malibu like this.
  7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Astonishing!

How did she escape from the kitchen?!?! :Rolf:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I going to get a back of hand DOT com here from H .. that is why i fill up the cars with fuel of the gods. :Whistle:

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I travel up and down the M1 all the time, and rarely see 8th Gens. I quite like that really, it's the exclusive choice!

^^In the year or so that I've had mine I've been asked about it in car parks / petrol stations three times, with all comments positive. On each occasion, there was surprise that it was a Honda (Lexus seems to be the default guess).

Given the comments above, what was very odd this week is that I was staying in a hotel (on the outskirts of Derby) with a car park full of Hondas! 5 or 6 8th Generation Accords, more Insights than I could count, and a couple of CR-Vs. All black too...I guess a company conference, and a company with a fantastic car policy...:Thumbup:

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I want to work for that company !! LOL

11. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, it seems the current HMRC costs for Company cars make the Accord less attractive than the Audi/BMW equivalents...... shame really Honda have not responded with a lower CO2 Emission Accord.

I agree 8th Generation Accords are rare but I have gone from not seeing any (int eh early days)... to at least seeing an occasional few on a journey (mainly on way to work as I do not make long distance journeys as often these days around the UK)..... was surprised therefore one day when returning to my car at Peterborough services to find an identical car (and color) parked next to mine.... unfortunately he may have curbed the front splitter as it was cracked. I rarely see the twin tail pipe Accords.

12. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its not Hondas fault.

These German car makers have been fudging their economy claims for years and now have been caught with their proverbial pants round their ankles....Honda has no reason to massage its figures like the repmobile-makers do.

Case in point: Ad watchdog labels Audi MPG claims ?misleading? | Auto Express

13. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^My experience bears this out - got nowhere near claimed MPG in my VW but my Accord is very close to that published.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My Accord *exceeds* what is published! :Happy:

15. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No argument with that one on MPG... but I was trying to imply that for Company cars (which is significant), the Taxable "benefit in kind" can be lower for the German car makers (obviously the total is dependent on spec) due to them having lower CO2 emissions... I did not think the CO2 emission number was fudged as the HMRC go by these to set the Tax rate for a company car owner. A number of people (sales and service) in my company for example have gone for the German vehicles as opposed to Honda for example for this reason.

16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^

It would be interesting to see/learn what figures the HMRC uses for BIK...not that this info is readily available to my knowledge!

17. NuttyH Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Let me see what I can find as there are websites that you can use that you put in the CO2 emission and it gives you the taxable benefit....

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
  19. Superdave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Parked my 2.0 EX in Shrewsbury Harlescott park and ride Tuesday just gone, well away from other cars, I hasten to add, blow me down when I returned later in the day an identical 2.0 EX, 1 year older, was parked next to mine, loads of empty spaces about as well.

Wasn't one of our members was it?

A physcologist might have something to say about this sort of behaviour, ha ha.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Telford must be filled with intelligent drivers as I see quite a number of 8th Generation Accords whilst driving around in my lorry. Mind you I think it is probably because I owned a silver ES GT before my CR-V. Lol
    I tend to notice all Honda cars and always look to see if they used to belong to me!!
    I recently saw my first accord , a 52 (2002) reg which I owned for around four years. When I sold it with 40K on the clock it was absolutely mint. Imagine my horror to see it being driven with cigarette smoke coming out of the drivers window.
    No one is allowed to smoke in my cars.
    Mike c