Tyres & Wheels Do you fit winter tyres?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by shinda, Thursday 3rd Oct, 2013.

?

Do you use winter tyres?

1. Yay

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Nay

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  1. shinda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The weather is getting colder, and I am waiting for the magic number 7.

I am wondering who fits winters tyres onto their accord.

I have been living in Japan and they fit winter tyres as standard. I must say that they came in useful in the snow.

Now I am back in this country - is it necessary?

If you do please, tell me what tyres you use and where you obtained them!

Cheers

EDIT - Format

2. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm using winter tyres every year, just bought second set with steel wheels and fit on them winter tyres dunlop sp winter 16inch (during the summer I have got 17inch alloys). I can recomend to using winter tyres. There are not only for snow and ICE, but much better on the wet and cold roads as they been built to work in the temperature under 8Celcius. Check you tube to compare summer to winter tyres.

3. shinda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see that there are advantages to fitting winter tyres, but is it worth the premium?

4. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    I voted no, but only because now I am retired, and there is no real urgency to go out in bad weather. I just wait for the snow to melt etc...:lol:

steve4536 likes this.
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If I had the space to keep a spare set of wheels then yes I would have winter tyres.

6. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    I change my tyres for the winter because where I work. If it snows I would not be able to get to the office. But it also helps on main roads in winter even with little snow. I keep just the tyres in the garage, rear ones usually last two seasons so I have 2 spares ready to be swapped. Will just buy 2 front ones in the next few months. Plus I get them cheap from a friend who runs a tire business :Smile:

7. shinda Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just goes to show it isn't what you know :Wink:

8. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I've spare set of winter wheels, which I usually put on around november until march, as someone mentioned they are designed to work better in wet and cold conditions.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been thinking about this, do winter tyres wear quicker? Can you use them all year round?

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    They are softer type of rubber, so yes, they will wear quicker when used on tarmac. I find my fronts last only through the winter, but I will do about 10k miles over that period.

11. mushroom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

winter tyres are not only for snow

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  12. Neil Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Newton Abbot
    I keep saying I'm going to get some but haven't yet, just need another set of wheels first.

13. Japseye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've endured the last two winters on summers tyres (Khumo, Vredestein and Dunlop) fitted to a BMW M3 and used them on lightly snowed and iced roads, they gave me slightly more road condition feedback which I'm sure would have been less on winter tyres but they were by no means not up to the job, ok they took a little longer to warm up but so did the car, I'd only ever get winter tyres if I was driving on serious snow since the softer rubber doesn't allow the snow to compact within the tread which will effectively create a slick tread pattern on a summer tyre, also the tendency for a winter tyre to stay softer in the cold means there's less chance of slicing the tread or taking out a chunk which is very likely if you drive hard on a summer tyre in winter without warming them up first. If you check the technical spec and minimal operating temperatures of your tyres I think you'll find winters tyres are not nessesary unless you plan to drive on serious snow and ICE.

14. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    I have used winter tyres for the last few years. I live in southern Ireland so we do not get it as cold as you. For the first two years I swapped the tyres on my wheels and after that I got a new set for my summer tyres and uded the older ones for the winter tyres. I feal better with them as I need to get to work. When I take off my summer wheels I can give them a complete clean and store them away ( you will need room). I would say if you have space and can get you hands on some spare wheels go for it. You do not need 6" of snow to feel you need these tyres, just cold roads.

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If I end up being able to afford a new set of alloys before winter hits properly, then I'll stick winter tyres on them and swap my current tyres back in the summer.

I must admit, my Accord did like to slip a bit last year in the snow, even with the tyres part deflated.

16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I usually don't bother with winter tyres.If there is a lot of snow I don't drive my Accord but this year I am considering buying a full set because I might take a little Euro trip come Christmas time.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mine was fine, even tackled the slope up to our gates, where my neighbours struggled, mine got up relatively easily. Only once or twice I had to roll back out onto the road for a run up Lol.

But you've seen that slope DD, it's pretty steep up.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Aye it is mate, and I wouldn't want to have tackled that on a daily basis in mine as it sat last winter. I was on balding mismatched tyres.

We're actually on similar tyres now so that gives me hope that this year will be better.

19. tUMi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tuomas Finland
    Here in Finland winter tyres are a must. Attempting to use summer tyres on Finnish winter is suicidal due to conditions. Actually, in here there's a law that obligates to use winter tyres (studded or non-studded M+S) during certain months of the year. Those months are December, January and February if my memory serves me correctly.

In August I bought a brand new set of studded tyres. I like to get my new tyres installed on my alloys early (yes, I do have two different sets of alloys, one set for summer tyres and another for winter tyres) before tyre companies gets crowded when people rush in there getting their tyres changed when the winter starts to begin. I always fit my tyres to my car at home yard (I got access to good tyre changing tools at home so the fitting gets fast and easy) when the time is right. I was forced to get a new tyre set because the studded tyres (Continental ContiWinterViking 2) that came with my car when I bought it were too old (manufactured in 2005!) and worn, very bad grip. I used them last winter, it was not fun driving with that set.

Here are the studded tyres I bought at August (size 205/55R16) and I'm planning to use them for the next three or four winter seasons: Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8

Usually studded tyres lasts three to five years before the rubber gets too hardened and the tyre loses too much of it's grip. Another scenario is that too many studs has fall off. There has to be certain percentage of studs left in each tyre or it will become illegal to use in winter, although it can be used as a summer tyre as long as all the studs has been removed. Last scenario is that the tyre thread depth gets too low (according to our law the minimum allowed tyre thread depth is three millimeters for winter tyres). Summer tyres usually don't last more than two summer seasons, varying on how much miles you drive on them (in here summer tyre season lasts from April to October, can vary also).

From my experience the studded tyres are easily more durable than summer tyres when measuring the tyre thread depth. After two driven summer seasons the summer tyre has only about three, four millimeters left of thread depth (this varies, though). According to our law the minimum allowed tyre thread depth for summer tyres is 1,6 millimeters. And as a comparison, after two driven winter seasons the winter tyre can still easily have five or six millimeters left of thread depth (varies). Non-studded winter tyres are a different story. They are softer than studded tyres so they wear much quicker. It is legal here to use non-studded winter tyres as summer tyres. But if you do that, prepare to buy a new set of non-studded winter tyres every year. Non-studded winter tyres meant for Scandinavian winter conditions are not recommended to be used at summer time. They're designed to operate properly only in much colder temperatures than what's in summer time. They'll get ruined if used at summer time.

I have driven a car with non-studded M+S tyres couple of times in my life so far. But the grip on ICE is almost non-existant with those tyres and roads around here where I live often have a layer of ICE and usually some snow on top of the ICE. And that is the reason why I always will be using studded tyres on winter seasons as long as they are allowed by law.

I fitted my new winter tyres over a week ago now, even there's no snow and ICE in the roads here yet. But, due to the time of the year, nights can be very cold in here and I have to leave to work very early at the morning (before 6:00AM). So it's better to have the winter tyres fitted a little too early than too late. Usually I fit winter tyres to my car after half of October and change back to summer tyres at the end of April.

I hope this wasn't too boring to read. Just wanted to let you know how the tyre things works here in Finland.

Last edited: Sunday 27th Oct, 2013
    Ezeetrucker likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Not a boring read at all tUmi, quite informative in fact. Luckily our winters aren't severe enough to need studded winter tyres.

Ezeetrucker likes this.