Electrical & Lights Dodgy alternators

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hondream, Tuesday 21st Jan, 2014.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I believe the alternators are prone to failing on the petrol Accords.
    Anyone know much they cost to replace?
    Anyone had one fail on them?
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange I have had two Tourer 2.4 and 2.0 and both have been had\have rock solid alternators.... infact yours will be the first occassion to hear a petrol one going up its a common thing on diesel but that was partly due to the stress the belt was putting on the pulley .. what happened to yours?
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not heard of it going on the Petrol Accords either.
  4. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    A friend of a friend has a 2.4 petrol accord, 2006, about 50k miles, he had to get the alternator replaced.
    Honda main dealer said it was faulty.

I believe there's a thread on this forum somewhere about a Legend of about the same age, where the alternator packed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oh wow, two whole failures.

A Legend alternator and an Accord petrol alternator are two different designs as is indeed the diesel alternator.

An alternator is an item that does wear with age, failure at some point is actually pretty inevitable.
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    While having an alternator fail is a PITA. 3 cases, one of which isn't on an accord, can't be classed as 'prone'.

As Ichiban said alternators on petrol cars are solid. If it does happen it happens on diesels, but this isn't the unit failing due to an inherent design fault of the alternator, it's due to a poorly routed auxiliary belt. This has been changed on most vehicles now so the instances of this are quite few nowadays as well.

If Honda main dealer told you it was faulty didn't they give you a quote for a new one. In terms of cost to replace, depending on the failure, having it reconditioned may be cheaper than buying a complete unit. If you're looking for a 3rd party one shopping round should be able to get one at a fairly reasonable price.
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mate you own a BMW (bring mechanics wrench, big money waste etc) - say what you like but primarily people discuss things on forums hence why you found 2 cases in which the alternator failed (3 if you count the Legend which is a different model!), if we were shallow enough to say YAY MY ALTERNATOR WORKS AS IT SHOULD then we wouldn't own Honda's now would we?

Looking by your previous posts you seem like you want to find regular faults with petrol 7th gens - all you gotta do is look at: (dead link removed by staff)

Even then a guy who has worked on many Honda's has said "very hard to find many things specific to petrol 7 gens". Somehow I trust him more than a single case where your mate has had an alternator fail.

Maybe I've come out a little bit harsh here and for that I apologize but seriously any serviced and somewhat cared for 6th/7th/8th Generation car will be more reliable than a BMW of the same age (-5 years even). As an example I will use my car, it has never, ever been serviced by a Honda dealer since it was bought over 10 years ago. Since then it has been serviced every 15k miles (2.5x more than Honda recommend) and even then 3rd party cheapo parts have been used. On top of that it was used as a van weekly to carry weekly stock from wholesalers. Despite all that the only issue I've never had any issues other than age related ones which are inevitable. By the looks of your posts you seem to be scared about faults etc with Honda's, if you do a little research online then you'll realise that Honda's are regarded as the most reliable mass production car manufacturer.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
    John Dickson and SpeedyGee like this.
  8. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I agree, BMW's are cr*p.

what i meant was (may be prone):-

I believe the alternators MAY BE prone to failing on the petrol Accords.

sorry for any confusion
    John Dickson and Chunkylover53 like this.
  9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If you want a recon alternator try:

I got one for my diesel last year from him.
    Excellent service, delivered the replacement and took the old one away at the same time.