Body, Paint & Styling Dodgy paint!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Old Cruiser, Monday 9th Feb, 2015.

1. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    What is it with the paint on these Jap cars, slightest little thing hits it and there it is another chip, spent yesterday afternoon cleaning the car, touching up a few stone chips, car looked great then drive to bloody work this morning to a place called Aldermaston in Berkshire AKA hell on earth, hear a small ding from some damn lorry and there it is a lovely stone chip in the bonnet, why do I bother!! sorry guys rant over but you can probably tell I'm annoyed!! bring back Cellulose or 2k paint!
    Cheers Pete

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I sympathise, this drives me mad too. My Accord not the worst I've had though...

My VW Tiguan had very brittle paint, looked like it had been shot blasted at the front after 10k miles. A friend with an Audi has similar issues.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Is it down to the fact that modern paint is water based?

3. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I feel your pain mate. Same happened last year when we went to Bournemouth.
    Gigantic stone chip on the bonnet.
    When I had the Seat Arosa I did over 100k miles on the motorway in it and it still looked like new which was weird. It would seem the germans tend to use thicker paint on thei cars perhaps.

Was thinking of getting a bonnet cover like this which may help

HONDA ACCORD (04-08) CAR BRA - AutoBra UK - Auto Bras & Car Bras

4. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    I think a lot of it is down to it being water based, just not hard enough, but also the laquer is too thin too I think, that gets chipped and the base paint doesn't stand a chance!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Whilst these are a good idea I think they spoil the look of the car , maybe a clear bonnet wrap is the answer!
    Cheers Pete