General Does anyone actually rely on built in Honda sat nav?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arahman, Thursday 6th Oct, 2016.

1. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    I've always used a TomTom and this is my first car with a built in sat nav. I find it unintuitive, not least because it always shows a bird's eye view. Is there anyone who genuinely relies on it for long journeys, etc?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's good enough to get you from A to B but of course it's not going beat any dedicated Sat Nav device especially one that is much newer than it.

I've never had a need to supplement the Honda Sat Nav with anything else.

3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You can change the view in the settings I'm sure but the map/interface will never be the same as a Tom Tom or garmin. You could invest in the latest update disc. However they are arround £170 from Honda. The live traffic re-direction is very good. If you take the time to learn about the features like voice activation. The built in sat nav comes up trumps

Nels likes this.
  4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes, I do.

I've got a Garmin, but find the 3D view hard to follow.

Having used the (old) Honda version for 6 years now, I find that it is clear and simple and does exactly what I need it to do.

The newer ones look more impressive, but are harder to use and to follow IMHO. I'm more interested in ease of use and accuracy than fancy graphics.

5. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Use mine all the time recently from the Midlands to France around France and back, it has its idiosyncrasies but then so do others. It has the latest software and maps.

6. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    Seems like the latest update would do me well, I'm still on the 2010 edition, but hard to justify the cost when compared to TomTom. I'll probably just use it for small journeys

7. nitroace09 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi I have 2007 Honda accord I had 2 weeks for my sat nav disc to arrive for my built in system and its spot on for me very pleased with it.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. arahman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Uk
    I thought I'd give the built in sat nav a fair chance and after relying on it exclusively over the last few days (and on a bit of a hazy memory of different routes) I must say I'm genuinely surprised by how good it is. :Thumbup:

I thought the lack of driving/3d view the entire time would be a big problem but actually it does give a 3d-ish view of lane changes which are quite effective. I don't have the same confidence in it I have in my TomTom but I am impressed by its navigation skills and can see myself using it a lot more in the future, while keeping my TomTom as a backup. :Smile:

nitroace09, FirstHonda and Nels like this.
  9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I use it all the time, both in the UK and the continent. Did the same for 10 years in my 7th Generation Accord too.

Ichiban likes this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I have mine set up to show the map on the left of the screen (which I never use) with the next points / turns in a list on the right of the screen.

With the two screens in the CR-V, it means you have the main information for the journey on the main nav screen, with the next junction / roundabout etc. instructions coming up on the top screen as they approach.

Simple. Effective. Easy to follow. None of this 3D nonsense that I struggle to follow.

'Isn't it nice when things just - work?'

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Unfortunately my Type-S isn't blessed with such luxuries as a sat nav so I tend to rely on my knowledge of areas.
    My newly acquired CR-V has one fitted and although I don't rely on it I have used it a few times to go to places I know just to see how it performs and for something that is over 9-10years old Its pretty impressive. It's very accurate(more so than the maps on my I phone) and is really quick at picking up route deviations and it recalculates very quick as well.
    So to be honest if I was going somewhere I didn't know I think I would trust it to get me there.

12. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Used mine to get me to France a few times and Belgium and it's been spot on to be honest I can't comment on traffic as it's never worked unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickyB likes this.
  13. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    I have put a all singing and dancing £1000 Alpine unit in my FR-V.......

But still use my phone and google maps :Blushing:

MickyB likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Been using the Honda sat nav since 2004 In my Civic and till now , it gets me there but can send you around the houses , you have to be careful which route you select .

When you punch the address look at all the 5 routes it offers and select the one appropriate.

MickyB likes this.
  15. bugsb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ron northants
    i fitted a twin din think its a 9in screen all singing system in my HR-V about 2 years ago the built in satnav (igo) is the best so far i have come across over tom tom and others i have had
    the system came from china as all things do in a roundabout way but
    the info its gives you (and it will split the screen if it thinks you need it) is very good could i do with out it yes it just saves alot of time reading maps or aa printouts

MickyB likes this.