General Does my car have a seperate amp and crossover?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Racy Jace, Saturday 30th Apr, 2016.

1. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm trying to get my sound system sorted and I wondered if my car has a seperate amp or crossovers?

When wiring a set of mb quart tweeters to the existing tweeter wires the sound is fine. When connected to the wires that power the woofer in the door the sound is worse as it would seem there's no crossover to them. I always thought the xovers were in the tweeter them selves but what I'm hearing says the tweeter wires are being filtered from somewhere .

I'm only asking so I can work out if getting a new double din stereo is going to be an easy fit or not.

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Depends on the amp, some have "internal" filtering with separate amp outputs, either one output per speaker, or one output for tweeters and separate outputs for mid and bass. I think that some also have a DSP to give phasing.

Where there is only one output per channel, then the tweeters would be piezo (although you might expect a capacitor in series to prevent overloading the tweeter)

Best to have a look on the back of the amp.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you know where the amp is? Car audio security.com said they'll be powered from the head unit but that means the stereo would have 7 channels as I think the sub is passive too.

4. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Regarding standard Honda stuff I can only really go by the Premium system in the 7th Generation Accord Exec.

That has a separate pre-amp and power amp.
    4 outputs (FL, FR, RL, RR) from the pre-amp 6-CD unit, feeding into the power-amp, which has 8 outputs (4 door speakers, 2 tweeters, 2 bass units in the rear, latter depends whether Saloon or Tourer too I think)

Last edited: Saturday 30th Apr, 2016
  5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you know where I should look to find the amp? Would it be behind the radio or by the passengers feet?

If my CR-V has an amp Im guessing I need to feed new speaker wires to bypass the dsp if i get a new headunit otherwise a the pioneer eq won't work properly. Arghhhhh! Why can't it be simple!

6. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

In the 7th Generation Accord the power amp is down at the bottom of the centre console, in front of the gear lever

Racy Jace likes this.