Off-Topic Does this make me evil?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by John Dickson, Friday 31st May, 2013.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Went to the local Sainsbury's today at lunchtime from work.

As I left there was a black Audi A5 3.0TDI in the car park with the bonnet up steaming/smoking. It didn't look at all well. :Rolf:

Couldn't help looking at it and feeling smug when I got in my car and turned the key and Japanese motoring supremacy fired into life instantly and smoothly... Then I looked at all the standard features and was reminded of the £15,000 I'd saved by not buying the German crate!

Does this make me evil or just smarter for not being fooled by the four (poorly assembled :lol:) interlocking rings? :Whistle:

i-DSI, Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Ha no make you much better off than the audi .. Come on what fashion freak buys an a5 anyway?

Yesterday i followed some woman in an A4 convertible with a shed load of steam exiting her exhaust! made me laugh :Smile: does that make me evil? I dint think so as I overtook her :Smile:

John Dickson likes this.
  3. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I really don't understand the animosity toward German cars on this forum.
    One of the hardest lives a car can have is being a taxi, and by far the biggest selling single make of taxi over the last 10 years in the UK is Skoda. Which is a German car with a Czech badge.

4. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I have to agree with Jaytip, my mate had a Skoda Octavia 2007 diesel, which he used as a taxi. He has just sold it (to another taxi driver) with 175000 miles on the clock. Apart from brake pads, services, a hose, an alternator, he has not spent a penny in repair bills.
    The car has gone back into taxi service with its new owner.
    Mystery has purchased a new ---------Skoda Octavia elegance.
    I have a lot of respect for Skoda vehicles The majority of taxis around our area are Skoda. Oh yes and I have seen one very nice 53 reg Honda accord.
    Mike c

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    John German car drivers are all about vanity they haven't for a clue to reliability as standard. German cars are vulgar and revolting just shows the typical mentality, However yesterday a BMW driver for the fist time in my life let me out in standing traffic, I was gob smacked I has to rub my eyes to check I wasn't seeing things.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh BTW the answer to your question no it don't make you evil , just plain old smug you are not driving a sort after turd.

John Dickson likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Two owners of German cars I know one has Skoda Superb (along with 2 Jaguar XJS) and the other had Audi A6 1.8T Avant, along with 1972 Daimler, but has got rid of both now.

The first one refers to the Superb as the wallet emptier as it has cost him far more in repairs than the XJS.

The second one said the A6 was the worst most unreliable car he'd ever owned.

Skodas are a cheap car to use as a taxi but, if it were me, as my livelihood depended on the reliability of the taxi I'd look elsewhere. Most Skoda Octavia taxis sound like you'll be seeing the rear axle down the road behind you when you get out! :lol:

CJ is right about a certain mentality. Next time you see someone driving dangerously or just being downright bad mannered pushing and shoving in traffic, carving across lanes on roundabouts aggressively; odds on it'll be an Audi if not a Golf.

BMWs are vulgar and revolting and fairly poorly made and designed. They do not make a nice looking car at all just shows how you could sell some people a dog sh!t if you put the "right badge" on it.

- - - Updated - - -

The highest mileage taxis I have seen were a 295,000 mile Nissan Primera P10 diesel it was probably killed by the P10's worst enemy the dreaded tin worm rather than mechanical issues. A local taxi driver I use regularly used to have a 545,000 mile.... wait for it.... Peugeot 406 1.9HDi!

A mate of mine had a 290,000mile Toyota Carina E 1.6 petrol which then became a taxi when he got rid of it.

8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Yep in short German cars are crap. I drove them for 20 years near on. Best was an Audit quattro 20v Turbo never went wrong closely followed by 2nd Generation golf had many of those and some rare ones. After that all down hill (fast) German car drivers on the whole don't give a toss for other road users and are always surprised when their German built crap goes bang. And you think accord 7 diesel is a time bomb! ha get an A6 diesel or a passat or yes a skoda I have seen plenty in for major repairs and the newer they get the more you see.
    True to say Honda diesel go wrong but no more prob less than most modern diesel. I would NEVER touch another German load of rubbish.

9. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There are a number of 300,000 mile Skoda octavia taxis still on the road where I live. Yes, they have their problems, but reading this forum so does the CTDI engine.
    We drive taxis for a living and as such we go for the most cost effective option, that for the last ten years as meant Skoda group cars. An 09 plate Superb I bought is still on the fleet I work for and is going strong with well north of 100K on the clock, with only serviceable items replaced and the DMF early on at 32K.
    We have to pay for and maintain our own cars, so unfortunately that puts a new Honda Accord out of reach when you realise that a Superb can be bought for over 7K less. A far more spacious car with a far bigger boot and returning as good fuel economy. Oh, and there is NO WAY it's going to run up 7K's worth of repairs over 3 years of ownership (most drivers keep their car for 5 years. Two years unlimited mileage warranty, and then 3 years fixing problems out of our own pocket) unless the owner is an idiot who doesn't maintain the car.
    I'm not knocking the Accord guys, I have one, but it's an expensive car to buy new, so it should be a quality item. It just bugs me with the blanket German car hatred.
    I owned a Merc 190E 2.3 16V and it was utterly bulletproof despite me driving it as it was intended.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Skoda Superb aside can you name another other reliable makes/models Jaytip ?

11. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can only go on my experience. The above mentioned Merc 190E that I owned. I had a 51 plate 1.9tdi 130 A4 which was faultless in the time I owned it. I sold it to a friend who still has it to this day. It's had a few small problems but nothing major.
    I have had a 2.7 RS4 which didn't miss a beat under my ownership.
    My brother has owned both an E30 and E36 M3's and he absolutely thrashed them both with no mechanical issues.
    Another friend of mine is a driving instructor. His car is an A1 1.6 sline and he loves it. It has stop start on it and he told me it ALWAYS returns high 50's MPG
    Don't misunderstand me guys, I'm not saying the German marques are faultless, they are not. But I don't believe that they are as bad as people on here make out.
    I have owned Audi's in the past and I absolutely will own them again in the future.
    As for the A5, I love the car, I think it's a really nice design and if it weren't for two young children I would have one in a heartbeat, and it's nothing to do with image, I live in an ex local authority semi, so image has nothing to do with it for me.

Bowler likes this.
  12. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh forgot, the YETI has some of the best residuals on the second hand market. Not something it would have if it was crap.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's all good to hear Jaytip :Thumbup:

Just don't take everything you read so seriously, if we didn't have anything to take the piss out then things would be pretty dull, LOL. The favourite piss taking topic on here does seem to be German cars, some people are talking from bitter experience, others just don't like them.

Either way just take it as banter, we're all here to help each other and try and have a laugh at the same time.

FirstHonda likes this.
  14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ There are a couple of points here. Residuals are based on the perceived desirability of the brand and of the actual vehicle, but mainly by availability. The Yeti is a case in point - it is a good car, I looked at one, but the Skoda dealer told me that VAG restrict availability of the diesel 4x4 drivetrain to Skoda for the Yeti which leads to long waiting lists (I was quoted 9 months) and thus gives it a strong residual performance - one that isn't shared by either the Octavia or the Superb. Yeti residuals are softening quite a bit now, I guess as there are more around.

I would say that the poor residual performance of the Octavia in particular makes it something of a second hand bargain - reliability not withstanding.

^^ I think most of us do. I've had three VWs and two of them were awful - one replaced by VAG (Polo) and the second got rid of after total auto gearbox failure at 40k miles (Tiguan). I have friends, colleagues and relatives who have had terrible issues with the Audi A6 (replacement engine, twice!), A4 (gearbox), Skoda Octavia (glow plugs, air con, wheel bearings, lots of little things), VW Tiguan (engine failure leading to replacement), and Passat (gearbox failure leading to replacement). All of the above were diesel, and automatic.

As with most things, personal experience is what drives perceptions and opinions - somewhere there must be a (some) Honda driver(s) who had issues and who will never buy another. My experience isn't with all German cars, just VAG, but it has left a very bitter taste, so for me, never again. That doesn't mean that they are all bad, or that there aren't VAG evangelists based on their personal experiences, but it does mean that I have a very negative opinion of that brand.

What continues to bother me is the conditioning of consumers by motoring magazines towards "prestige" brands (mainly German), which has a huge impact on residual value and thus prompts private buyers to buy, as retained value is such a significant cost over the ownership of the vehicle. Personally I still think that there is limited objectivity in quite a few articles that I read, and that the biggest flaw is treating "quality" (i.e. soft touch plastics) and "reliability" (i.e. will it break, and if so, how often) as the same thing.

AccordCU2 likes this.
  15. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The above two responses are a pleasure to read. As stated, I know that German cars are not perfect, and it's nice to read reasoned arguments instead of just hatred.

FirstHonda likes this.
  16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jaytip,
    I understand what you feel and your point of view.
    What I don't think is correct is to take personal experiences and reflect them on a whole brand/country.
    I never owned a German manufactured car, but testdrove severals. I don't buy them because they don't have a good price/quality relation.
    To judge this, I look at 'third party' information like consumer guides investigation results on real life reliability and I also look at what you get in your car for the money (equipment). Looking at VW, Merc, BMW, Audi: a big joke. Poorly specced cars. And when looking at reliability results: they are usualy not on the top of the charts. There you will find the Japanese manufacturers.
    I don't judge on personal experiences, but for the fun of it: One of my friends owned a GolfIII 1.9 tdi 90 BHP. He needed to change his cylinder head gasket 3 times in 5 years. Other friends drive BMW.... I can assure you: extremely expensive to maintain and a lot brakes down once the cas has driven a few years and the mileage reaches 100k.
    Others drive Italian or French brands.... but there's not enough space here to talk about that:Smile:.

17. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi I-DSI, isn't that what others on here are doing though when they bash German cars? They are basing it on their and others experience. I have to base it on my experience otherwise I would just be speculating.
    Again judging someone on the car they drive is something I would never do. I see a lot of aggressive drivers in pick-up's and 4x4's but I don't deem ALL 4x4 drivers as a***holes. Same goes for BMW and Audi drivers. Yes there are a lot of aggressive drivers who drive these marques but not everyone who drives them are like that. I read one user on here describe all Audi owners as (insert expletive here) thereby having a pop at me (having owned several Audi's in the past) when the guys knows absolutely nothing about me. To be frank I found the post offensive but said nothing. If that is the way he chooses to judge people that is his choice.
    This is an Internet forum and as such there is going to be difference of opinion and that is great, but people don't have to be rude when making the point.

18. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sat reading all the above replies in my BMW owners club polo shirt, after many washes as good as new.

19. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

^^^^^ funny, lol

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Very good...I should probably add that my other car, a 2004 (BMW) MINI Cooper, is still an absolute pleasure to own, and after many washes it is as good as new too :Smile: