Aftermarket Kit Dog transport cage

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by NottsBiker, Saturday 13th Jun, 2015.

1. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Hi All,

We currently have the genuine Honda dog guard fitted into the back of my PFL Type-S Tourer. Unfortunately when we pull up at our chosen walking spot it is difficult to prevent the dogs from shooting straight out as they get themselves very excited and this overrules any commands we try to give.

We are now looking for a transport cage that will fit into the Accord and simultaneously keep as much boot space available for the dogs. I have measured the available space as a cube taking into account the power tailgate motor as 100 wide 69 high 83 deep. Unfortunately having a cube loses a lot of space for the kids but makes fitting a lot easier.

Ideally we'd like something custom making near to us in Nottingham but don't know of anyone who is able to do this.

Does anyone else have any solutions that would work?

Many thanks - Ben

2. Dalek New Member Getting Started

Dale Benfleet
    Hi Ben, have you considered a tailgate guard. We had one by MMG they don't require any drilling as they have adjustable feet, you can also have a lock fitted as well. Dale.

3. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Thanks I will check them out!

Ideally we'd like a MIM Variocage but they are very expensive

4. Dalek New Member Getting Started

Dale Benfleet
    you could also check out agility.net as they have loads of second hand cages for sale

5. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Ta

6. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Ben, I had the same issue as Red got older, and when I began the police training with him. Plus, I wanted to rest him but leave tailgate up when needed. There are various solutions, a tailgate guard was my first thought, but the dog was still able to 'roam' in the boot floor area.

TransK9 are a reputable firm but are expensive, expect to pay around 400-450 for accord.

I eventually bought a comfort plus four made by a Swiss firm, aluminium and birch ply, crash and TUV tested from Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at zooplus I will take pictures and upload for you and place in the dog thread. I posted a review of the product on the zoo plus site

4pets Dog Crate ComfortLine four | Great deals at zooplus!

The actual one that fits really well is the large version.

7. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Hi GSD,

Many thanks for your reply - we managed to find one nearby in Derby made by a company called MMG that width, height and back of rear seat shape fits like a glove. To make it perfect it would have been 60mm longer but as we have a large and small collie we will remove the central divide which will free up some more space for longer journeys. Retail was I beleive £400 and we paid £100 although we are going to spend another £65 having it powder coated as its a bit worn in places.

Ben

GSD2013 likes this.
  8. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

@NottsBiker, pleased you got sorted, gives you peace of mind doesn't it. I have taken some pics yesterday whilst we are on leave in Hartland near Bideford, and will still post on dog thread for benefit of other members/visitors, as dog safety is a shared thing. Will also upload into 'garage' withe other pics when I can load Mac from camera's SD card

9. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Took it completely to bits Monday night and its currently at the powder coaters being re-freshed. can't argue with £165 compared to £400 new.

Brilliant on the one use we gave it for keeping the dogs secure whilst having the tailgate raised for fresh air.