Service & Maintenance Don't forget to change your Keyfob batteries!

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Thursday 14th Jul, 2016.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Worth changing them NOW if they are more thanks say 2 years old, don't want to get stuck anywhere!!

Mine dies whilst parked in town, just now.

Car alarm went off when I unlocked to car (with the key) and would not stop, even with key in ignition and engine running!

Luckily I did not get a ticket, whilst I went to a jeweller to get a new battery!!!

Phew

2.4 8thGen and Duc de Pommfrit like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    CR1616 is the battery size, you are lucky to get away lightly. if the battery run too low it can lose it pairing to the immobiliser and you can be stranded even if you put a new battery.

Last edited: Thursday 14th Jul, 2016
    foxleys likes this.
  3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    This reminds me I will do mine at the weekend :Smile:

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think I'll do mine too they've only been in since the car was new???
    Mind they don't get too much use!!!!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would also advocate to change the spare key battery also that key is sat away in a safe place forgotten for that one rainy day .

So you know when that emergency comes your key will work , it the same with spare tyres \space savers people have them hardly keep the tyre pressure topped up.

2.4 8thGen, MickyB and legend-ary like this.
  6. raza4 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

england
    Yep good advice my car did the exact same thing a while back.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Is this only for 7th Generation? My car start, runs, perfect with the spare key. And that spare key has completely empty (or no?) batteries. Remote does not work with the spare key.
    I was convinced you do not need batteries in the key for the immobisystem. But I can be wrong. Isn't it a little chip that's fed through the ignitionlock and is always reads and reprogrammed via that ignition lock?
    I needed that spare key twice last 2 year because there's a very annoying thing about 4-doors model: if you unlock but only open the trunk, and close the trunk, than the doors lock again!! And there was my key, in the trunk. Twice. And twice I needed to ring my wife who comes over with the spare key-with-empty-or-no-batteries :Wink:.

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Pretty sure the immobiliser chip is separate and is not connected to the battery in the key as when I got a flip key I had to swap that over too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They key has a in built transponder located in the ignition key when the key is inserted in the ignition switch and turned to the on 2 position, the immobilizer control unit-receiver (barrel) sends power to the transponder in the ignition key. The transponder then sends a coded signal back through the immobilizer control unit-receiver to the ECM/PCM.

If the battery in the fob is dead the power received from the ICUR may not be sufficient to do the challenge shake hand to verify the codded signal.

foxleys, dinoc and MickyB like this.
  10. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Is the battery mentioned cr1616 the same one for a gen3 diesel CR-V?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

11. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm lucky that my old 6th Generation doesn't have a powered immobiliser, as long as the key is ok it will work, it will also unlock the car and deactivate the alarm. Though the battery for the alarm fob is a CR2025 for the 6th gens and Civic, CR-V,HR-V and S2000 of that vintage.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would think so mate just take the cover off and have a look.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't pay Halfords prices you can get them cheaper on eBay.

2.4 8thGen likes this.
  14. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    MickyB likes this.