Facelift Model Doors won't lock in freezing weather ?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by BEA, Saturday 16th Jan, 2016.

1. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Has anyone had this?

Ran the car briefly this morning (-2.0c) and when trying to re-lock it with the remote there was a second of hammering noise from the drivers door lock mechanism but it didn't actually lock that door. Ran the engine some more, opened and closed other doors etc. to no effect. Drove it 2 miles and the problem gradually reduced to 'three hammers then locked' and finally 'lock as usual'.

Booked into dealers but they say it's a new one to them.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Never heard of this issue.

Probably a one off electrical gremlin that won't ever appear again, knowing the law of sod. I had a similar experience on my 8th Generation Accord. As fate would have it - dealer checked it and couldn't find any faults and it never happened after that ever again, even in the cold climes.

3. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Seemed more mechanical than electrical - Got it on video through so Dealer will ask Honda. As it cleared itself as the temp rose above freezing it will be hard to replicate in the workshop !!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Video

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like an AK-47!!

Wow, thats very weird - certainly not what I was expecting. Glad that you captured it on video, so at least you can show the dealer. Could be something as simple as the solenoid not playing ball. Definitely in the odd category.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is odd, it sound more like a Israeli uzi.

6. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It is certainly a bit odd. Service manager said it was a new to him and they would send the video to Honda to see what they wanted them to change. (Which nicely summarises why I don't work in engineering any more as I'm just dying to pull the door panel off and see where the design or assembly went wrong . . . )
    - - - Updated - - -
    CR-V 007 Special edition announced with key-fob operated machine guns. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  7. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK the story has now developed to 'Doors won't unlock in even colder weather' but yet again once the temperature gets up above 0c all is working again. Waiting for a call back from local dealer as this is clearly going to be a problem this week !!

I'm still not sure why they need to have the car for a full day and Honda on the line to look at this. Maybe asking for a loan car will focus some attention?

8. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Try again

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It's under warranty, so a loan car is in order whilst they see to yours. I would expect a CR-V - They should have one or two available.

10. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I would suspect it had some condensation in it that froze causing the problem which, as you report, righted itself as the temperature rose and the frozen water liquified.

Keith

11. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Might have been water getting inside door as it doesn't get wiped off when you drop the windows,:teasing: as per other thread.

12. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have been thinking that myself . . however they can never assume the wiping is a 100% seal so you would imagine the lock system would be sealed off from the window mechanism and door cavity . . . Ridiculous in this day and age

I will take the opportunity to query the (lack of) window wiping too when I go in on Monday. (Kind of expecting some comment about 'not supposed to take them luxury vehicles out in the rain' )

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So how do you wipe the window, clean all the water off it and not scratch it with the dirt trapped on top ?

You can't be totally sealed right, hence why the "sealing" rubber does have a small gap in it.

Would love to see the glass on cars that have a very tight sealing rubber.

14. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's what I was saying ... Can't make it watertight. FWIW most cars I've owned recently have combined a rubber scraper with a felt pad underneath that seems to do the trick. The fear of glass scrapes maybe gets worse but I've never actually noticed any. The felt gets a bit green and mouldy after 5 or 6 years though.

15. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Try using a patent bathroom mould cleaner, or garden moss cleaner. Used to find mine was worse parking near or under trees (conifers worst)

16. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Watch them there trees! My daughter has a Renault Scenic and some fast growing shrubs have appeared behind the wall she parks next to. The heater packed up and it turned out the leaves had fallen into the scuttle , blocked the drain and the rain water had entered the car. This filled the bucket the heater motor was sat in and fried it and its controls. Warrantee? Water ingress, sir, specifically excluded! Dad pays bill of £700 :shock:

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Damn ! :Ohdear:

FR-V likes this.
  18. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Can't expect to take your car outdoors . . it's supposed to sit in the corner of the lounge as you lovingly turn the pages of the user manual :Smile:

FR-V likes this.
  19. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quick update.

Arrived at the dealers at 8.00am, (They had shared my video link with Honda in advance who had said replace the actuator and lock so they had the parts on hand already).
    9am and I'm off to work with it seemingly sorted (but obviously its not cold today).
    Technician apparently said 99.9% sure the problem will be fixed because powering up the old actuator on the bench he felt the motor was weak even in the warm workshop.

So . . Fingers crossed, but very pleased with the speedy service :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Worth seeing if the new actuator holds up if we have another cold spell? Well done to the dealer and Honda is sorting this out sharpish.