Engine & Gearbox DPF Delete

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 29th Jan, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

DPF delete seems to be a topic of the moment.

This involves removing the DPF section of an exhaust system and re-mapping the car so it will run with the filter absent.

Will a car which has had this done still pass the MOT?

2. crespo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, diesels are smoke tested not emission tested.

You can also de cat a diesel and still pass an MOT although new regs to counter this have been brought in stating that a cat must be in place if one was fitted as standard.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So if regs of this kind are brought in for DPFs, will people who have removed the filter have to do an expensive re-instatement?

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    maybe so yes. ime sure vosa are looking into it just as they have into aftermarket HID installs and the like. even engine lights may fail an MOT and require part of the MOT to include scanning the vehicle with and obd2 reader! so checking for a DPF may well become mandatory, prob by next year at the soonest as these things take time

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

DPF deletes are becoming so common there is no way VOSA is going to let it continue. It's also very easy to spot when it's been done by inspecting the exhaust system. I would also expect all cars to be subjected to the testing whether the DPF has been deleted as its such new technology.

7. crespo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You can delete the DPF by knocking out the filters from the standard exhaust and then bolting back on the OEM pipe minus its DPF junk. Thus leaving a completely stealth DPF delete. The only way to find out would be to actually remove the DPF part of the exhaust and visually check it. No MOT station is ever going to do this.

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had all sorts of issues with the past 206 HDI that I bought related to the DPF system. If that car it uses EOLYS which is an additive that is injected into the fuel tank on every refuel. The car has sensors in the fuel cap so knows when it comes off. Every now and then the car enters regen and by having this EOLYS in the fuel reduces the combustion temp reuired for the DPF to complete. In theory it works fine but the EOLYS is around £100 per litre and lasts about 60k. Also short runs and not allowing full regen to complete blocks the DPF. The DPF has pressure sensors top and bottom and register a differential. I had loads of issues with it on mine so remapped it out via the OBD2 port and the Peugeot Planet main dealer software. I had no issues then. The system has various components and ECUS and cost big money when it goes wrong. So glad the 7th Generation diesn't have it!

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had a think about it and I think it would quite easy for the MOT test to check whether the DPF is actually there. All they would need to do is design a device to check the exhaust gases for the amount of soot particles. After all that is all the filter does.
    Technologically I don't think it would be that difficult, and certainly no more expensive than the gas anaylsers they currently use for emmissions.

Last edited: Monday 30th Jan, 2012
  10. crespo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They already have that device. Its called a smoke test.:Wink:

tommy_gt likes this.
  11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So it sounds like the regs could potentially be changed in future by specifying lower smoke test limits for cars which came with a DPF as standard, which would detect concealed filter removals presumably.

We'll have to wait and see!

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The smoke test is no where near accurate enough to detect soot from a modern diesel.
    People used to remove cats from petrol cars so they just tightened up the emissions limits.
    The same will happen with DPFs.

13. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah right...please ignore my last post lol.

14. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

No need to ignore your last post mate. I think you're on the right track, they will just have to improve the sensitivity of the equipment to detect smaller soot particles.

15. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i don't know whether all code readers would be able to do this but certainly with hondas, using a HDS you can find out when the last regen was carried out and what the particulate matter level is inside the DPF. it won't happen for a few years untill DPF's are more common place but new things are added to the MOT test every year. for instance if you have a tow bar with electrics, the electrics have to be tested now! all MOT stations have test equipment to do it! so what is to say in annother years time a standard ECU reader is developed?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Again your correct Beefy the new Civic 9th Generation is now OBD3 compliant they can be only read and scanned with the Honda MVCI , the old HIM and tablet with 2nd Generation HDS software can't read it anymore. They will easy add this feature on the fly so the hardware and the software compliance being so tightly regulated its a matter of time.

The new MVCI will record when and DTC were stopped with the underlying fault not fixed the total amount of c02 emitted in the cars entire history and lot more which I cannot state or will reveal :cool: This new OBD3 will the first stepping stone to achieve the lock down the law markers are hoping for.

17. tommy_gt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

uk
    Had to replace DPF due to being blocked. Had a warning light on and asked honda tech if i can drive it till i can get app wit them and he said yes it save to do it.... well it wasnt. So now iam waiting till i get new PDF from belgium in a 2 weeks time and dealer can't provide a courtessy car!!! How great it is (not)

18. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hello Tommy and welcome to the forum. Why not say hi in the new members section.

Sounds like the tech was trying to help and made a genuine and honest mistake. It may well help others to know what happened though in case it ever happens to them. Don't leave it too long if the light comes on.

19. tommy_gt Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

uk
    hi all
    still waiting on my DPF and it looks like it will be another 3 or 4 weeks :Frown:
    delays due to floods in Thailand
    anyone know something like FORTE DPF CLEANER it cleans DPF in lower temp, any coments??
    thanks all

20. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It sounds like something called EOLYS that Peugeot use. They put an additive in the fuel everything you fill up. I had big problems so not sure how it would fair up. Also if the DPF is blocked I doubt it'd help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.